1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to upload my images?

Discussion in 'General chit-chat' started by Eric Bong, May 28, 2023.

1. For many years, I used Flickr to upload images, both to get critique on Flickr, but also to host my images somewhere so that I could embed them with BB code.

I got fed up with Flickr and the price increases and deleted my account a few years back. I signed up to them again when I started to try and get back into my photography, but I can see it basically dead and I don't want to pay for a premium account on something that really isn't offering very much.

I curious to know what everyone else is using? I have heard varying opinions on Smugmug, but I am curious to know if Smugmug images can be embedded in other websites? I tried it with Amazon Photos, but the links stop working after a couple of weeks.

I am not touching 500px, as I hear all kinds of horror stories about it.
  2. I use Flickr just for posting on here (free account). I use 500px to post as well and don't see an issue
  3. I use Flickr too - free account simply for posting on here. When I approach the limit for numbers of pics I open a new account using a different email address!
  4. From what I have read, it is a front for a Chinese stock photography company, who will sell your images whether you want them to or not - even after you have closed your account and come off the platform. It's also full of bots.

That's not a bad idea actually. I am loathe to pay what Flickr as asking these days, as I don't think it represents good value. It's a shame no one has seen the niche in the market for photographers to upload and critique their work (I know we do it here, but it does need a platform to host the images to allow us to share them in the first place). Looking on YouTube, people are talking up Vero and Glass, but you never know if they are being incentivised to push the platforms.
  5. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

I'm my humble opinion - that's total bollox.

FlickR is owned by Smugmug - a well respected web and hosting platform that runs and stores its data on AWS (Amazon Web Services)
  6. Sorry, that was in relation to 500px being a Chinese bot farm etc. Not Flickr.
  7. I use Flickr Pro not expensive ,about £1 a week to store as many great shots that you have ,I've never had issues ,average about 1000 views a day ,great place to find an image if you want to post elseware .
  8. Flickr blocked me, been using Imgur [free] for some time, again just for posting on here.
  9. I have Flickr pro and only had one problem which was quickly resolved.