1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent advice please

Discussion in 'General chit-chat' started by Polly, Jul 6, 2023.

1. As been having focusing worries with my Canon 250D [have to have a light weight model as a slight tremor in right hand] am not getting such sharp shots as would like or have had in past with EOS 550D for example. Also the mirrorless Sony 6000 was good, but a bigger zoom wasn't available.

Am getting very disheartened, so haven't really been out much the last year.
    Apart from crafting [crochet, knitting etc] not alot goes on in my life. however, I did repair my leaking Karcher pressure washer the other day!

Spoke to Park Cameras in Burgess Hill today - they've been good in the past. Suggested the kit below would be helpful - any opinions please. Am going down Saturday am [about 80 miles away]to have a look - they have reserved kit for me for 7 days.
    Apparently the stabilization on the camera itself as well as on the lenses is good for wobbly oldies. Also his selection means I'll only need 2 lenses - less to lug around. Being an un techy person, I mostly leave it on auto anyway, so different knobs and dials won't really affect me. Are giving me a good part exchange deal.

New stuff

Used Panasonic Lumix DC-G90 Mirrorless Camera Body Black 549.00
    Used Panasonic 14-140mm F/4-5.8 Mega O.I.S 229.00
    Used Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm f/4-5.6 Wide Angle Zoom Lens 249.00

Present stuff
    Canon EOS 250D Digital SLR Camera Body Black 280.00
    [Have the kit lens too]
    Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens 85.00
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Telephoto Zoom Lens 95.00

What do you guys think ? Considering am only a happy snapper !! Ta x
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
  2. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

You are far more than a happy snapper Polly (although that's a good thing in itself) and I am sure we can make some suggestions to help you here.

Sorry to hear of the hand tremor. We're all getting older and wobblier but it's not pleasant and not fair. Just keep on togging for us!
  3. Awww tks. Hoping at least one person who knows about Panasonic will reply.
  4. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

I don't know much about them other than I;ve never seen a bad review of anything they make. Spec looks ideal. Could be the one @Stansgang has - but he hasn't visited us here this year :(
  5. Tks matey - your opinion goes a long way. x
  6. Oy

Also a few things to be aware of...

1. As you can see from the lenses chosen - the "Micro 4/3rd" system has a common lens mount. Meaning lenses from Panasonic and Olympus will fit and work on both. So you have more choices if you any more lenses :)

2. The Micro 4/3ds system has a smaller sensor than both full frame and APSC crop cameras. Meaning in "old money" those lenses are 28-280mm and 18-36mm.

3. If you see the word "Leica" on any Panosonic, ignore it. It just means they have an arrangement with them that basically means Leica approve of the way they are made. In return Leica digital cameras use Panasonic electronics.

Do you use a tripod for your indoor shots? If not them maybe time to do so.
  7. oh so the 'wide angle' is not as wide as my canon 10-18, its more like the kit lens ?
  8. just googled comparison for those 2, looks about the same to me. I don't understand the micro 4/3rd thingy. At lease going down tomoz i'll be able to try out rather than having delivered. The guy told me about the panasonic and olympus fittings. tks chum x
    PS I don't wobble that much lol
  9. Oy

I do :rofl:
  10. I dont know much about any of the examples you will look at but a mate of mine shoots micro 4/3 and tends to get a bit more noise at higher iso than I do.
  11. Many tks
  12. Your Canon has a crop factor of 1.6× so your 10-18 is more like 16-29 in full frame terms, so not loads of a difference. Micro 4/3 are a crop facto of 2×. But don't let that put you off, they are very good sensors and cameras.
    I've only ever owned one Lumix and that was a compact LX3 superb little camera. Sadly I lost it on the way home from a beer festival, I'm saying nothing. :think::whistle:
    Sound like a good deal. Did you go for it?
  13. What did you decide?
  14. Did the deal, bit heaver than Canon kit, but the few shots in garden look much sharper. The wide angle -Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm f/4-5.6 - found to be faulty when got home, seemed like a contact prob, made a whirring noise when clicked on with error message - being picked up tomoz for refund. But am thinking the the range of Panasonic 14-140mm, may work for everything. Am happy for now !!!!
    Tks - I did. Looked up original 2019 price for new - wow bargain.
  15. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Glad you're happy - enjoy the kit!
  16. Especially after a few IPA's :D
  17. All gone back !!
  18. Have you not looked at the pocket travel type cameras, they have very good images quality, decent zoom range and light to carry. I know it's not the same has bigger cameras but would make life a lot easier on your travels.
    I'm the world's worst got all sorts of cameras and still take the most with my phone. :whistle:
    https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/panasonic-lumix-dc-tz95/sku-2055048
  19. I would steer a little clear of m4/3 at the mo I have a feeling soon, most will not stock the lenses etc everything going more towards bigger sensors again .I don't think the G9 will help as it's a much bigger camera and heavier than the one your using . Look to Canon R10 small compact,light great focus and video. Also with adaptor about £100 it will also work with your current lenses . But once your using the R system you will want the lighter lenses as well so trade in your old kit and check out the Canon R 10 which you can also purchase with a extended kit lens 18-150 which will cover most of your needs in one small package.
  20. Thank you Jon, did chat about the Canon R series, but chap in shop felt wouldn't improve much to what I've got - very fair for him. Luckily my Canon stuff hadn't been sold. So got a new tattoo instead !!! Think i was just bored x