1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sycamore gap tree

Discussion in 'General chit-chat' started by Polly, Sep 28, 2023.

1. just posted on another group site [ ladies of the WRAF/RAF past & present- yes am one !!] that this tree, which is up near many of you, has been felled by vandals.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  2. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

No pic but - what a shame! An iconic spot that was on my list.

It's 2.5 hours from the Wigan folk.

I notice on Google Maps it's been renamed Sycamore Stump :(
  3. such an shitty act of vandalism :-(
  4. woops
  5. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

They're arrested a 16 year old boy for the crime!
  6. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Saddening and maddening.
  7. makes you wonder what goes on in their heads !!!
  8. Been on my list for a few years, what on earth is wrong with people these days? Just boggles the mind, and something I will never understand - no doubt it was some social media thing.
  9. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

The latest is that it was the 'work' of someone in their 60s and possibly related to the politics of the National Trust. So sad.
  10. Definitely a blood boiler for me.
    When they said about a 16 year old, I thought not chance. It was done by someone who can use a chain saw and well considering it was done in the dark.
  11. We feel for you Guys, We had a similar incident a few decades ago. There was a lone pine tree on top of an extinct volcano in Auckland.
    The area was known as One Tree Hill, still is. Some person havin' a grudge took to it with a chainsaw All efforts were made to try and save. No tree replaced it but it is still known as One Tree Hill.