1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norton Security.

Discussion in 'General chit-chat' started by Colin McGregor, Oct 22, 2019.

1. I looked at my Norton Security and it tells me I have 44 days to renewal. The new version is Norton 360 which has a lot of extras like cloud storage, password management etc. The re-newel price for 5 devices is £79.99 but if renewed now is £19.99. But thy say they will automatically renew next time at the price at the time probably £79.99. I have used Norton for years and always gave me full protection for about £20 for all devices. I just bought a licence number from Curry's or Tesco and installed myself. £80 seems a lot to be caught with next year.
    What protection do others use and at what price

Here is a site I don't know how reliable but comments please.
    https://www.antivirusguide.com/best...k&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&sgv_medium
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  2. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

For years I have used Avast,served me well and its free.
  3. We used to use Avast but now Kaspersky which cleverly stores passwords & has auto log in capabilities as well as all the necessary protection.
    No idea how it all works or the cost as that's the other half's department :)
  4. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Sophos Home. Free and splendid.

I'm on a Mac and don't do any file sharing or too much wandering into obscure clickbate so feel a little more secure but still want to be careful. Avast was always my Windows recommendation but do see if they do a Sophos.

Good luck.
  5. We have Sophos too. I don't know about the pricing now, but we used to have it free from work (because both of us would sometimes work from home) :)
  6. I have been using BitDefender Total Security. I find that it's protection (anti-virus, firewall, malware) works quite well, and has minimal impact to the system performance.
  7. Norton . Pay the £20 then if you go to your Norton Homepage you can untick the box which says auto renewal it will come up with a box that says you put your system at risk if you miss renewal date ,just get rid of that and Auto renewal is turned off next year a month or so before the date they will send you an e-mail offering you it at the cheap rate again. None of the free ones are a patch on Norton 360 and many put more crap in your computer than they take out. stay as you are,ive had Norton for 20 years .
  8. I have Avast and pay for three devices. It appears to work well and I'm happy. We used to have Sophos and will look into it again. Thanks @Dvorak and @Zooey
  9. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

I don't have any AV software on my iMac.
  10. That seems the best idea, I did this last year when they wanted about £50 and I bought a licence from Curry's for £20 downloaded and later removed the Automatic Renewal and all went well they now want to keep me for £19.99 instead of the full amount. I have been using Norton for along time now the old version used to slow the computer slightly but this no longer happens on the newer versions. I have never had a virus intrusion but plenty of warnings that an attack has been blocked or this is a suspicious site keep away.

@Oy How do you get away without any protection. It is said that iMac is more protected than windows it is also said that windows are more liable to attack simply because there is a lot more of them and the users may not be as computer literate as a windows person. But IMac can be still liable if attacked by a skilled operator.

Here Is something to watch.

This guy certainly knew what he was doing.