1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hosting nightmare

Discussion in 'General chit-chat' started by Zooey, Feb 22, 2020.

1. I haven't been around for a bit because my hosting company has broken my web site. Long story short, I was advised to use a staging site, but the backup wouldn't restore because loopbacks weren't enabled. I've had nothing but grief over this including "there are hundreds of domains on the server and you are the only one with a problem". They have the problem now because I'm going elsewhere.

When I first moved to them, they gave me 400Gb storage in error. I took advantage and used a tiny bit to back up images and movies and to host what I post in here. I can move the other stuff to BT Cloud (which I've only just discovered gives us 200Gb for free), but I will need to be careful in future. I was wondering what anyone thought about pruning old images I've posted. They were very tiny back then because of my old monitor and I really don't think anyone looks back that far now. I thought maybe prune back to the past two years. Any thoughts? :)
  2. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

I've been with SmugMug for years and never had a problem. Two years is plenty to store online as long as you have other backups for older stuff.

And their storage is unlimited. Not *Unlimited

https://www.smugmug.com/

*unless you use too much
  3. I meant what I post in here. I was going to prune what I post in here to leave the last two years. However, now I've deleted all the spare stuff, I'm still close to their lower limit. I'm going for the unlimited package (only £2/month more), so I'll leave everything where it is. Links may break for a bit as I'm rebuilding the site :)
  4. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Yes, that Smugmug works for me.

I took a little persuading but it does the trick and all the family who need it have it as an app on their telephone to access it if needed.

It sorts itself without any fuss and leaves me more time to do the 999 other things I'm on with. :) And of course, storage is about keeping stuff, so I have a fleet of hard drives with everything one which get regular attention, so I know whatever happens to any external providers, I have things safe here too.

Good luck.