1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Five thousand years later...

Discussion in 'Architecture' started by Dvorak, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Well, it's only a year since I was last there but the stones have seen quite a bit in their time!

Castlerigg, near Keswick, probably was constructed by Late Neolithic or Early Bronze Age folk around 3200 BC. That makes it one of the oldest stone circles in Britain and possibly in Europe.

1:

[​IMG]

2:

[​IMG]

3 William Wordsworth took his mate Samuel Taylor Coleridge there two hundred or so years back. Coleridge noted "a Druidical circle [where] the mountains stand one behind the other, in orderly array as if evoked by and attentive to the assembly of white-vested wizards”. He added mysteriously that the locals had been playing tricks with the stones and it's still rumoured that you can't count the same number twice!

[​IMG]
  2. Three lovely shots well composed and a different perspective of the same subject. No.1 would be my pick as it shows the stone circle best and the snowy mountains set it off.
  3. Fantastic set, hard to choose a favourite I really like the overall image of the fist and the mountains and clouds in the last are fantastic. well done.
  4. like no 2, with the 'boidy' and puddle
  5. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Classic views if Blencathra in the snow.

No2 it is one to Crow about :)
  6. Fave place of mine, not been in a while. Very well taken in the Dv stylie.
  7. Dvorak

Thank you for the feedback there.

The crow was a bonus, landing on the big stones. I'm probably now subject to some ancient curse. :p
  8. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

First with the big sky and last because its different.
  9. Like 'em all for different reasons, but if I had to choose one, it would be Number 3.
  10. What a great set. I've been twice and didn't see the place without hordes of visitors (and some locals). I would love to see it like this :)
  11. Dvorak

Thanks.

A very few visitors only. Ashness Bridge was busy but much of the Lakes were: a) flooded, and b) quiet, as we were there the week after half term. We drove the length of at least one major lake without seeing another soul. I think I obscured one stubborn tourist here behind a stone and the only Photoshop editing work I did on any of these was to tone down a more prominent blob of colour from some farming equipment on the far hills.
  12. It is a lovely place. I have only been once. I thought we might have called on the turkeybuster but we had other destinations in mind.
  13. Nice work. The second does it for me.
  14. lovely shots, all with differing and interesting compositions.
  15. You don't fool me.......you placed those little stones there and changed the perspective didn't you? Nice sky though.
  16. First shot with the big sky is my favourite.