1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another low down Diver Shot

Discussion in 'Flora & fauna' started by jon_t, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Another low down Diver Shot. Probably the last of this bird for now :)
    Another of the Brilliant Great Northern Diver at Salford Quays 05.03.2016 . I have not seen one this close in 40 years of Birding. :) I did 6 hours sat more or less in one spot at St Francis Basin that had some light to get this shot

[​IMG]Great Northern Diver - 1st Winter by John Tymon, on Flickr

:)
  2. Sam

Sam

Patience is rewarded,will it stand posting bigger.
  3. Next size up on flickr is 1600 ,so too big for on here unfortunately .
  4. 6 Hours! Result in that case.
  5. I can only see half of it but what I can see I'd looking good
  6. showing full on mine :)
  7. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

I can only see half too or maybe three quarters. Can't it be posted at 1400 pixels? This is easy in Photobucket - I upload at 1400, and view at 1400.
  8. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

It's just as easy on FlickR - it's what I do.
  9. Oy

I can see it all - but it does look like it's not all there with the letterbox crop and tightness at the bottom.
  10. I see it all ,I upload to Flickr then it doesn't give me an option for sharing apart from the one above and 1600,I like the low crop ,I can see it all ,so not sure what's happening with the others. I upload the shot as it is and share the biggest the site allows . It can be seen up to full size on my flickr site :)
  11. I Tried to resize to 1400 before uploading ,but in Elements 14 the resize seems to be only be able to be done in cm size not by pixels size ,so not sure how to do it this shot showed at something like 1200 x 3000 ,but I have no way to resize that to 1400 in elements ?
  12. Oy

Make sure you have the "resample" box ticked if there is one - then you should be able to select pixels as the unit.
  13. cheers I just spent half an hour doing it got it on my photobucket then find it will only let me share maximum 1024 so it resized my 1400 to 1024 ,maybe its because I don't pay for it ,Ive given up now had enough ,and I don't want to change it on flickr -thanks anyway :)
  14. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

I use photobucket and dont pay.You have to change a setting in settings from 1024 photobuckets chosen size to 1400 max,i also use elements 9 and as Oy says you need to set sizing to pixels.Good luck.
  15. I tried to change settings ,it said maximum 1024,it didn't give me any choices above that in my photobucket .It looks ok to me on here at 1024 anyway ,so not too bothered ,as everyone seems to be more worried about the size rather than if its a good shot or not ,so not worth changing really :)
  16. Stansgang

Ok re sizing,i dont think people are worried about the size but simply trying to give advise on how to sort it seeing as posting size on here used to be 1024 x 800 and Oy changed it to 1400 x 1024 i believe for a more pleasing viewing experience not everyone view on say an ipad but have nice large computer screens to view on.So i comply and size for this forum.Now re your shot which so far i havnt commented on,i think the shot is sharp and shows the bird off a treat but i also am not keen on the crop it looks to me that there is a nice reflection in the water below it and if so the birds reflection would have made it more pleasing to the eye.My opinion of course and it may not be yours.Also i like everyone else on here like to see there pictures commented on but unfortunatly that doesnt happen,just of late before i post a shot i have always commented on every shot posted on the front page you know which you have posted on as your avitar is shown on that post but i have started noting who never comment on what i post or have stopped for what ever reason so why should i bother.We all like a moan its human nature:soap:
  17. My thoughts too.
  18. I Tend to comment on about 10 times more than I post ,but sometimes I don't feel that I know enough about a type of photography, especially street photography, portraits etc to comment properly as my subjects have always been wildlife related and when I see some street shots ,I just wonder why has anyone taken that , but I can see from previous comments that the picture must be good ,so as I look ,I don't know what to put . Rather than go against the grain ,I just look and think I don't know what comment to put. I Tend to pick at least 1 picture a week for the POTW and nominate ,in mainly the wildlife or Landscape bracket. It doesn't mean if I don't comment on a shot I haven't looked ,Its normally that I can't really judge a shot that I don't understand.
    If I haven't commented on anyone's shots its not ,purposeful, it may be that im missing them as I normally just use the home page as a guide to what's been posted ,but sometimes I know that doesn't work as they can disappear off there quickly ,so I am guilty of not looking at every picture posted ,but not by intention.
    I don't mind if anyone comments or not on my shots ,I post them mainly as I know some on here are interested in wildlife along with the photography
    cheer John
  19. Stansgang

Fair enough John,i have enjoyed seeing your bird shots because i have never heard or seen them before.But if i comment its more in a photographers way than what a birder would say and i suppose not every one who joins a photography forum claims to be a photographer and joins simply to show off there intrest so keep posting and i will continue to enjoy your shots.
  20. No worries ,life's too short ,I just need to look a bit closer at more peoples shots me thinks, and not just in out, as time sometime allows, I think a lot of people on the forum would benefit from a policy of post one and comment on a few. Strangely some of the ones that get the most comments are the ones that post a shot then disappear until a month later when they post another and get a shed load of comments again and disappear. :)