1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

would anyone on here ever consider one of these?

Discussion in 'General chit-chat' started by jon_t, Apr 24, 2015.

1. http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/COOLPIX-P900.html
    Just asking as I know a lot of the photographers on here ,and very few ever use on mention these type of cameras, now this one is a beast of a camera ,a few friends have bought them as for keeping record shots of rare birds and such they seem to work. I have been having shoulder problems for a while and find it a pain to carry the big lens and my bin while out birding.
    Also there are times when out walking, or a day out with my wife that its not always right to spend the day taking pics
    This camera has a 24mm-2000mm lens
    Could everyone give me their opinion on this camera.
    I have posted shots on here in the past from my Lumix bridge cameras and I know they are considered pin head sensors, but when you compare this and think back to times when all we had were 6x4 prints ,does it particularly matter that you cannot blow a picture up from one to the size of a house, can a camera like this still take seriously good shots, that I could post on here?
    I find in the birding world if you haven't got a lens that's 3 feet long ,you get ignored in the field from the gear snobs,but I find that with my 300 f4 lens I quite often beat the big guns through field craft,and they are shocked sometimes by the results I get, so I wonder if anyone would take me serious if I carried one of these round.
    There must be a place for cameras like this that go from landscape to insect bothering to bird shots from 400 yards away, it seems a good package for the price of a decent macro lens and by the way the macro on this lens focuses so close it says 0mm.It costs £499 if you can get one as they are selling quicker than they can be made ,Some may feel its been crippled as it doesn't take raw files ,but that's most likely because no Photoshop could cope with the distortion that lens must have corrected in camera by some trickery. The same 2000mm lens on a DSLR would be 20 feet long and 6 feet wide
    Anyway opinion's gratefully welcome from anyone :) I may buy one soon ,binoculars and this camera seems a great compromise for me .
    heres a bird shot taken with this camera hand held at 2000mm,im sure it would be great at Martin Mere

https://flic.kr/p/rZRpLh
  2. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

I think for the uses you mention - it's worth a punt!

Don't forget though - those 6x4 prints still need to be 1800 x 1200px at 300ppi to give best results. Bigger than the max size we post here.
  3. Well I've been using film SLRs and recently a DSLR, but I bought the S6000 Coolpix (second hand for £28) recently to take to the Holi festival of colour. I know mine is nothing like the one on your link, but I have been massively impressed at the quality and I've used it to take some photographs of the cats and now macros, which I was never able to do before. Some of the images are now ending up on my web site as I'm so happy with them :)