1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wish me luck!

Discussion in 'Off topic - chew the fat' started by Zooey, Oct 14, 2020.

1. We currently have eleven cats - nine from Eastern Europe. For a while I've been thinking we ought to rescue one more before the Brexit window finally closes. I've seen so many kitties (many horribly disabled due to cruelty), but they would struggle with our old house. Every room is literally on a different level.

Then I spotted a video of a friendly kitten on the street, but I waited for over a week before finally asking hubby. He said yes, but a week later and the kitty hasn't been seen again. Instead, I've done a deal with one of my rescuer friends. We will take a kitten from her and if the street kitty turns up later, she will take him on.

The next problem was the transportation. The people we used before have stopped and the only legal carriers I can find don't do rescues. I need to point out that it is perfectly legal for us to adopt from Bulgaria and have the kitty transported to us, but the rather blunt instrument they use to stop puppy farmers makes things nearly impossible.

Thankfully my numerous contacts have been very helpful and yesterday I paid a deposit for the transport. The next few weeks will be a bit of a rollercoaster, but I'm hoping I can introduce you to him before the end of autumn :)
  2. Why do you rescue cats from Bulgaria?
  3. Many reasons. To be honest, the RSPCA seem to believe people can't cope with more than 5 cats. Cats' Protection are better, but insist they have unrestricted access to the outside. (For many years our cats were trained on the Freedom Fence, giving them access to our 2.5 acres, but off the road and away from shooting parties next door. CP didn't approve). We have a problem with strays over here, but for the most part we manage as a country. They are often fed, either by well meaning people when the cats turn up in their gardens, or by people who deal with ferals. (At this point I will say I have done my share of home checking for charities and my own trapping and taming of ferals). The cruelty in Eastern Europe is beyond most people's imagination though. There are rescuers, but for the most part locals do not want to adopt. If they didn't have a channel to other European countries, their work would be a waste of time. I'm a great believer in teaching the young and without the example set by the rescuers, I believe there would be no hope.

The cats are incredibly loving and unlike most British cats, do not have a problem living together. We have pairs of boyfriends/girlfriends (all neutered), older "aunts" who play with the youngsters, older cats who have adopted younger ones like mother and daughter and pairs who just love to hang out together. It's one huge happy family :)
  4. So not one person to wish us a bit of luck? :tweed:
  5. Sorry did not see the earlier posts. I wish you luck. Most farms in our village have many cats
  6. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

We wish you luck. :thumbup:

I think we all have charities, causes, caring obligations, bubbles and needs to support - those who do so with good grace always get my support. Everyone, I feel, should have some philanthropy in their lives.
  7. Good luck. We have 5 cats in our house!
  8. Only just seen good luck.
  9. Good luck @Zooey .
    Hope everything goes to plan. :thumbup: