1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tintern Abbey

Discussion in 'Architecture' started by Dvorak, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Inspired by a recent landscape shot on here with poetry, we called at this ruined monument to Henry VIII's greed. It closed in 1536, the lead roof was sold, the abbott pensioned off and the place left to decay. Two hundred and fifty or so years later, a famous poet at the height of his powers, passed by on a tour - twice in five years in fact - and reflected on the scene.

1:

[​IMG]

2 This was Britain's second - and Wales' first - Cistercian abbey. They are into self sufficiency, traditionally supporting themselves through agriculture and brewing ale. With their knowledge of agriculture and hydraulic engineering, these monks were medieval Europe's main drivers of technology:

[​IMG]

3:

[​IMG]

4:

[​IMG]

5:

[​IMG]

6:

[​IMG]

7:

[​IMG]

8:

[​IMG]
  2. A very fine selection of images
  3. very nice set indeed
  4. Fine set from your visit, nicely composed in number 2.
  5. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

Very arty is No1,look good in a local café ont wall.
  6. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Good set - reminds me of the ruins behind St David's Cathedral for some reason :think:
  7. Sam

Sam

The best two for me are the 2nd and 8th,out of a nice set,this area is one of my favourite places.
  8. Excellent set I agree.
  9. Fine set of a wonderful subject.
  10. Lovely stuff
    These kind of places are very special
  11. Lovely set there sir!
  12. Dvorak

Thanks folks, feedback really appreciated.
  13. Excellent set ,I love the first one ,but they are all special :)
  14. Nice set. 1st and last stand out to me
  15. good stuff number 5 stands out for me
  16. A carload of Brummies are out for a drive along the A466. One of them suddenly starts pointing all excited. "Look, look - an abbey!" and one of his mates says "Tintern Abbey!" And he says "'Tis! It says it on the sign!"
    :tweed:
  17. Dvorak

Any more bad gags like that and I'll take it as PotW nomination for me. I do the funnies (and that's mainly my image quality!).
  18. Nice set of which I like 5 the best, and a very interesting place to get popped onto the list.
  19. I'm struggling with the writing on such a moody sky! There's also such a lovely realism to the stonework in that first shot. An interesting idea to present it like that but there's too much to enjoy in the image to start putting text on there - stick it on the bottom in a border, but would also love to see an unmolested (!) version!

Number 6, a teaser of a shot, is the one for me. A view I have seen many times but never togged or seen it togged, so to see a view of it deserves praise indeed!

Thanks for sharing!