Stolen image on Instagram

Discussion in 'General chit-chat' started by Zooey, Feb 20, 2021.

1. I'm a bit funny with my images. On the one hand, I'm quite happy for people to use them for free for a good cause. I only ask that they tell me the dimensions they require so I can resize and sharpen. I don't sell my work from my web site, but I have also had requests and again, I will send the file to my chosen printer for the cost of the print, plus a small donation to one of my rescuer friends.

However... I am most definitely NOT happy if people steal and claim as their own. I've not come across this before because I don't go looking, but I had a contact from my web site saying one of my Peak District images had recently been uploaded to Instagram. It's not something I use, but I joined up, found the stolen image and I have reported the theft. I have also left a little message in the comments section... :mad:
  2. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Alas - the only thing you can claim for in the UK is your financial loss. Is this image for sale on your website? If not - all you can realistically hope for is to get the image removed.

It's the Internet - it happens. Frustrating I know.
  3. I don't offer my images for sale anywhere. It's the act of theft that really makes me angry. Not looking for any compensation, just for the image to be taken down and for the guy to learn a lesson
  4. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

I'm sure you can get it taken down. There are no consequences so I doubt a lesson will be learned. :shrug:
  5. I think you're right about the lesson. The guy who alerted me has a friend with two images stolen by the same bloke. When he went to the page to look, he spotted my Mam Tor photograph and remembered it from a previous Google search. He knew that it was stolen as well. He left a comment yesterday and I left one today. Both have been deleted, so the thief clearly doesn't care :(
  6. What’s the profile?
  7. https://www.instagram.com/dalehaywood/
    It's the first image of Mam Tor at sunrise. So far I've had a reply from Instagram wanting an e-mail from an address associated with my "organisation". With hubby's help, I was able to set up my WordPress contact form e-mail to send from Outlook, so that's been done now. I can honestly say if he had created a website about hiking in the Peak District and wanted to use that image for free, I would have been fine if he had simply asked. Stealing makes me furious...
  8. For anyone finding this in the future, my image, plus the two stolen from someone else have now been removed. It took just over 24 hours, so I am well impressed with Instagram :)
  9. You know you can use a program called Tineye (https://tineye.com) to find if someone is using your pictures. I have a lot of my pictures being used and am happy when they cite me and remind them of their obligations when they don't. Not much more you can do unless you want a fight. Then you need to be able to prove a loss, which for a weekend photographer is a hard barrier to overcome.
  10. Thanks Drei. I know about Tineye :)
  11. I know why they stole the images, his own are weak to say the least.

He’s announced today he’s an ambassador for a gear company, maybe an email to the said company re the honesty of their ambassadors? As he’s basically using your image to advertise that company and you would appreciate recompense in regards to the use of those images in their advertising?
  12. I'm not judging his images. To be fair, I don't really know what people use Instagram for, but as a record for someone who clearly loves the great outdoors, then it's wonderful. I'm just happy all three stolen images were taken down. It does seem to be a "thing" these days, especially with youngsters. I read a blog post the other day from a woman who had almost her entire life copied. Photos of her living room, family events and even her face were being used. She tried reasoning with the thieves, but they simply didn't understand. I guess they see something they like and it's easy to copy. They probably think as they haven't taken something physical, then it's fair game.

I would still happily give images for free if someone asks. Likewise, if anyone bothers to use my contact form, they can have prints at cost price. I still draw the line at stealing though...
  13. Glad you got it sorted.

14. His reason for using Instagram is quite clear, he’s after gaining a presence and developing that into influencer deals like the one just secured, no doubt with assistance of your and your friends images.