1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St Rumwolds, Bonnington

Discussion in 'Architecture' started by Polly, Nov 25, 2019.

1. St Rumwolds, a small 2 cell church, situated on the banks of the Royal Military Canal, is said to be one of the oldest on the Romney Marsh. St Rumwold was a child saint, born in Northampton in the 600's AD the King of Mercia's son, it is said he distinguished himself by preaching his first sermon at Brackley on his second day of life, dying on his third day. There are only 8 churches in England dedicated to him. Wanted to get in the fields by no good with stiles, either get suck or fall off !!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    4 Masses of graffiti carvings on door frame - earliest 1655, lots of maybe pagan symbols too. Can put them up if anyone interested.
    [​IMG]
  2. Fabulous building, with the third pic the choice of a good set for me.
  3. A good set of a lovely looking building - good history too. The first one for me.
  4. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Nice set - No1 for me ta :)
  5. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

I like how you have shot it at different distances showing the location off nicely.
  6. Sam

Sam

An interesting story,and a nice set,the 1st one is my favourite.
  7. Great set
  8. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

In busy times, it is reassuring and relaxing to learn of yet another fine little sanctuary: thank you for the detail and for this fine set of images.

The first is a textbook study of the place in fine light but I have a soft spot for the innocence and space of the third here.
  9. Tks, these old places are usually surrounded by huge trees and a very close fence. Lucky the hedge had be cut here !!
  10. Thanks for sharing and the history.