1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St Martin in the Fields

Discussion in 'Architecture' started by Dvorak, Feb 16, 2024.

1. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

It once was.

But now this famous neoclassical church in London is surrounded by the city, and looks out onto Trafalgar Square. It pioneered help for the homeless in the Victorian age and has a crypt that hosts jazz, as well as hosting its own premier orchestra. @tallis - have you had the pleasure?

1. There's the church peeping out with its clock visible and Viscount Nelson behind:

[​IMG]

2. A different day, a different angle:

[​IMG]

3. The nave:

[​IMG]

4. And here I reveal that window. It's modern (of course), replacing one affected by wartime damage and he quote to sigh at is:"We needed to create a design that would resonate with people of different faiths both secular and faithful."

[​IMG]

5. Love a column. Corinthian ones here, folks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. For some reason, I always confuse this church with St Clement Danes, at t'other end of the Strand.
    A smashing set.
  3. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Interesting stuff :)
  4. That time warp window, would be a great subject for a fisheye lens. :)
    Interesting set.
  5. Lovely set and and interesting images of the interior.
    I like the way the chandelier is lined up with the 'wonky' window #3, made me look twice, #4 gives clarity
  6. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

Thats where you have been practicing church interior shots,and well togged also.Love the sky in No1.
  7. A lovely set! Number 1 is a fine shot but the clock is about 40minutes fast!!!

To my eternal shame I have explored very little of our capital city!
  8. A fine set and shows off this lovely church very well.