1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St Clement in Old Romney

Discussion in 'Architecture' started by Polly, Nov 10, 2014.

1. St Clement in Old Romney, nr Dungeness, Kent. One of the oldes churches in Kent. Originall built in 12th century, but there is evidence of a structure dated 8th century. It's built on an artificial mound to protect from the flooding of the Romney Marsh.

The Norman nave was enlarged by the addition of aisles in the thirteenth century. The church is virtually unrestored so you really get a feel of it's age - some of the original timbers and the uneven floor. The box pews and gallery were built in 18th century and were repainted for the Rank film, Dr Syn [The Scarecrow smuggling stories]. Derek Jarman is buried in the churchyard.

Tks for looking. Was really happy with my wide angle lens here, no flash, just natural light, amazed how much extra light the lens lets in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3. Pulpit 1 [wish I'd noticed the mats]
    [​IMG]
    4. Pulpit 2
    [​IMG]
    5. From the Gallery
    [​IMG]
    6. The only stained glass window
    [​IMG]
    7. a 1677 tomb in the floor
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  2. Sam

Sam

I love old Churches Polly,this is a nice one,inside and out,it looks like it's built of flint.
  3. Tks Maurice - yes it is, flint is very abundant here, many ancient buildings have flint walls.
  4. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Looks an interesting owd place!

Can you shrink the portrait shots down to 1024px tall please?
  5. woops sorry
  6. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Gems here: a fine document of a fascinating building. The higher angle helps to give real variety. Thanks also for the commentary: always useful when you're doing a documentary set.
  7. Interesting church and thanks for the narrative of its history.

One or two look to me like they could do with nudge on the contrast, maybe a mid-tone adjustment on levels.

Love the stained glass window with the stains at the bottom where the rain has leaked in. Great detail.
  8. Love these old churches kinda reminds me of an old Templar site in Scotland I've visited :)
  9. Interior shots are lacking in contrast, the middle range is too wishy washy. Easily sorted. Otherwise interesting shots.
  10. Interesting - In the nave, one of the stone slabs in the floor has a very unreadable inscription - which is said to be the coffin lid of Crusader 8th century, recycling isn't as new as we think !
  11. Not sure if I can improve too much - the interior is quite bland, pale pinks and creams, feel images pretty spot on. But thanks for comments
  12. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

We don't appreciate owd buildings enough like this so a fine record of it,worth viewing anyday.
  13. good set .. like the tiltiness / wonkyness of shot one :)
  14. Looks a great place to tog, some good work in there. First for me please.
  15. tks matey :)
  16. Another vote for #1 here
  17. I fine record of an old church Love the images and the narrative.
  18. Looks old and reminds me of some of the churches i have seen in Spain