1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shadows and Highlights Fail

Discussion in 'Photo processing' started by Dvorak, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

There seems to be an issue with Photoshop shadows and highlights just now.

I'd done all the work in Lightroom and imported the raw file into Photoshop Creative Cloud to do the last few bits of cloning to tidy the shot. As I finished, I thought it might need a little final boost to the shads...and that's when it hung. Stopped, with the spinning wheel of doom and needing a force quit.

Yes, I know these days we're beyond shads/highlights as we can do it all in raw, so it's my own fault. But after having a Google, this issue is a current bug and under discussion in Adobe land.

Or, as someone French put it on the Adobe forum today: "macOS 10.15.3 Photoshop Highlight tool does not work, as soon as I touch the cursor, ball multicolor system and blockage of PS, I must force the stop of PS." Adobe suggest it's the fault of a firewall.

It seems lots of folk are affected but, in the words of another French user: "It is necessary to uninstall PS 21.1.0 without keeping your individual parameters, to abolishing all references to PS in your system, not data!!!!! To reboot the computer, NOT TO TAKE BACK your individual parameters, but to create them of new, me do not speak about forms, paintbrushes, gradations etc but particularly about tools, toolbars, working space. But try these functions before changing the parameters of PS, if this works, it is one of individual parameter which includes a problem."

I think I'll just do any exposure tweaks in Lightroom. It seems easier.
  2. Silly, but I grabbed a screen shot from our llama cam the other day. Normally I quickly open PS, select New and the size I need is on the list. Then I Create, but this time the button wouldn't work. I've had enough problems with my web site and iTunes recently, so I chose to ignore it...
  3. Dvorak

No one else use Photoshop? :think:

Another forum states: "I have figured out if you just fill numbers into the boxes that you can use the tool but if you touch the sliders you're done."
  4. I would comment, but I’d have to dust off my cords and kickers before I used shadows and highlights again...
  5. Dvorak

Is the right answer. :thumbup:

As I said, it was only after a lot of cloning that I looked and thought it needed a bit more shadows work. That's never normally the way it works for me: in thousands of images, I've never lost one before after so much work in post.

But there is a bug and we're paying for the software to work.
  6. Dvorak

This continues as a "bug" to many except Adobe.

Really surprised at the lack of experience of Shadows and Highlights amongst Nutters.

I do virtually all of my work in Lightroom but when working on scanned images, I go straight to PS and expect it to work.
  7. Lol ... :D

Just curious if you have got this resolved yet Dv, I'm not a Mac user but I did not install PS 21.1 ... I'm still using 21.0.3 which was the update before this one and s&h work fine.
  8. Dvorak

Nope. :p

As @stanokella says, back in the oldest days of taking jpegs and using Photoshop CS1 or whatever, shadows and highlights were all we had. But I still use them very occasionally for a scanned shot. My workflow for scans hasn't changed in 10 years as I use PS to import from my Epson. Lightroom for raw. And that's the point. If I'd known it was effectively removed as a tool because it hangs if you try to use use it, I would not have done a hundred tiny edits before looking at the 'finished' scan and casually thinking that maybe a 5 per cent shads boost would help to finish things off. I'd not used it in months and it seems that a previous update introduced this, and a few other tiny bugs to PS.

The Adobe forums are full of inpatient people who use it more than me, or who just think that reported bugs should be sorted more quickly on paid-for software. :geek:

Wonder what the rest of the forum uses? Anyone work solely in jpegs?
  9. I have to say I haven't noticed an issue but then again I haven't used PS much in the last few months.
  10. Dvorak

Give it a try and see what happens then for us, perhaps...?
  11. Have you tried Snapseed :whistle:
  12. Dvorak

Quote of the Week. :rofl:
  13. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

My PS is now doing this. What's odd is that it's started happening without me doing an update - so what has changed?
  14. Dvorak

Adobe forum now admitting it's a bug.

"This will be fixed in the next update which will be out very shortly. Workaround is to hide the Histogram panel when using Shadow/Highlights."

Folk complaining that they told Adobe about the bug and its effects weeks ago and their 'experts' did nothing about it until pushed.

Hmm, now why does that sound familiar...?!?