1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sensor cleaning.

Discussion in 'Photography basics' started by Photographicleigh, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Hi all, I have been fortunate till now in not having to much of a problem with sensor dust. Recently I noticed a spec on some photos and cannot remove it using the blower. Can anyone tell me the best thing to use to clean the sensor or even recommend anywhere that will professionally clean the sensor for me? Cheers.
  2. I got mine done at Calumet in Manchester, came back all clean!
  3. So do you have to send it off or can it be dropped off and collected same day?
  4. I clean my own after being instructed on the wizardly art by Mr Oy. How much crap is on it for a start? You can get loose rubbish off with a blower or an arctic butterfly thing but it's no use for ingrained stuff or sticky stuff like pollen or Mars bars.
    If it's that bad you need to do a wet clean which is probably all that a shop will do anyway and they will charge you about £30 to do it. I had problems with my 5D mark 2 a couple of years ago and I took it down to Lehmanns in Stoke. They did a really deep clean on it and I think it was about £55 or thereabouts. Ask me or Mr Oy nicely and I am sure that one of us can save you money!
    ALL cleaning is done at your own risk though!
  5. It was a drop off and pick up the next day, due to it being fx apparently?
  6. I have seen various utube films on it but never had the courage yet and my sensor has an ingrained spot. On the utube films it seems ridiculously easy is that correct or are there hidden dangers
  7. Takes about 5 Mins and is fairly easy once you have done it a few times, although one of my first attempts I lost a 3 week old d90 when the curtain shut when I caught the shutter and I ended up dragging the shutter out of the camera :(
  8. It's just one spot that won't go with the blower. I can see it on the sensor when I shine a LED light in but no matter how precise or close I get with the blower it will not move. It looks like a speck of dust (but not absolutely sure). I was thinking of getting the gel stick and just using it in that one area. http://www.digitaltoyshop.co.uk/Eyelead_sensor_cleaning_kit_SCK-1_t2649_6789
  9. Mathers in Bolton did mine.
  10. I use the Delkin cleaner set but it's over £80. I also have the Arctic butterfly but I have never been impressed with it.
  11. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

I use pec pads and Eclipse fluid. It's not rocket science.
  12. me too cheap and does the job right :)
  13. Oy

I used to use the Sensor Swabs but now just use wrap the plastic paddles I kept with pec pad stuff :)
  14. I have been warned that pec pads can casue damage to the sensor filter but I suspect that is just scaremongering to make you buy the more expensive dedicated cleaners!
    Anyway, have we got this bloody filter clean yet!?
  15. Oy

It's the same stuff as on the Sensor Swabs
  16. Seriously ? is that it ? just drip few drops of eclispse on sensor mirror and wipe off (gently no doubt) with pec pad ?
  17. Oy

18. I haven't cleaned mine in seven years. I have a gentle touch, but I daren't risk it with ten cats in the house... :D
  19. I take mine to Mr. Judge
    he did a fine job on it when I got all speckly
  20. Tried a sensor Klean brush and visible dust wet cleaned but still no luck removing this speck! Gonna have to try the gel pad.