1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Merlin

Discussion in 'Off topic - chew the fat' started by Zooey, Dec 9, 2020.

1. We had to say goodbye to our 20 year old cat today. Only last week I weighed him. Having dropped to 4.5 Kg in the heatwave, he had put weight back on every following month and came in at 4.76 Kg. He had a raft of problems and was on 4 meds in the morning and 3 in the evening, but he still ruled our 2.5 acres, wanting my husband to take him out (supervised only) early every morning, throughout the day and last thing before bed.

He was catching rabbits at the age of 18 and had been seen chasing badgers out of the garden. Even last night I was finishing his special feed (which he refused) and yet when I put my head outside to call hubby, they were both out of earshot. He had been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism many years ago, his kidneys were starting to fail, he had seizures without his phenobarbitone and his white ears and nose had early signs of cancer, even though we had never let him out in the middle of the day.

It was his thyroid that got him in the end. From having a fantastic appetite, it dropped off a cliff over the weekend. I believe the tumour had grown down his oesophagus making him refuse all food. We're going to miss him so much...
  2. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

R.I.P. Old kitty :(
  3. Sorry to hear that
  4. So sorry. Pets are part of the family making it harder to lose them.
  5. Sorry to hear
    Great innings
  6. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

Plenty memories for you.
  7. Sorry to hear but a long and happy life.
  8. Many thanks for the comments. It means a lot...
  9. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

A good long life and thank you for sharing those stories.
  10. Sorry for your loss. Is that a good age for a cat?
  11. It's an incredible age. When I was a kid, twelve was about the most you could expect. With better veterinary care, it's about fourteen now.
  12. Sad news, Zooey. Thinking of you.