1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAW

Discussion in 'General chit-chat' started by TA-THANX, Oct 19, 2021.

1. On Friday while on a mini Nutters meet up with the Boss, I took my first ever photo in RAW :whistle:
    With the conditions it would have been impossible to get anything with jpeg, the contrasts were so high.
    This is the thing I only have PS Elements 14 so wasn't even sure if I could do anything with what I have. But low and behold when I dropped it in it opened another editing page I've never seen before, super easy and I couldn't believe what I got from the shadows.
    Now a question do you only shoot RAW or RAW and jpeg?
    My old cameras only have one memory card slot, and I shot both, but to be honest the jpegs are just scrap.
    To be even more honest the photos I took that day are shockers, I wasn't really in a photography mood and the light conditions only made this even more so, then having the wrong lens on as well, I was just glad to see a face outside.
    This might be a turning point for me but now I've tried it, it might well happen again.:mangle:
    And just for a giggle this is the best exposed jpeg of the day.
    [​IMG]_MG_3674 by ta-thanx, on Flickr
  2. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Fab looking kecksd and shoes :)

For me it's RAW only - all the time.
  3. RAW all the time and only raw. Have never looked back to jpg's.
  4. Same for me as well. I used to shoot raw + JPEG and then overwrite the JPEG with the one from the converted raw.
  5. Raw only, on any device that will shoot it!

*oh, except my mini 2 that forces me to shoot raw and jpeg, I have no idea why, DJI!!!
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  6. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

It took me a while but I took my first raw shot in 2008 and now keep to it for everything that'll let me as @stanokella says.

Welcome. :)
  7. I normally only shoot in RAW, but I went to Brands Hatch recently with Charltonfan and used JPEG as an experiment. I'll post a few in a while.
  8. RAW will give you detail in shadows and highlights that you will never get in JPEG. Although modern cameras will produce very good JPEG's.
  9. RAW & JPG so I can see images without software but the jpg is overwritten by the edit
  10. Dvorak

Interesting. Tell us more please.

You can see the images on the back of the camera of course...and you'll edit the raw, so where does the jpeg come in before it's overwritten?
  11. Oy

I'll take a guess at exporting the RAW file as JPG without renaming.
  12. When on holiday I take a laptop to back up shots, no editing software as I don’t like editing on a laptop so I can’t see the raw images. At least with the jpg I can see what I’ve got on a bigger screen than the back of the camera.

13. Get a Mac, you can view RAW’s!
  14. I shoot Raw only for my wildlife / Birds etc and raw and jpeg with the panasonic gx80 for most other stuff and most of the time the jpeg are so good from that camera that a lot of the time I don't bother with the raw as my Photoshop elements 14 does not open the raws so I have to convert to DNG for that camera which means a lot of faff lol less and less these days do I sell pictures as no one pays or should I say most mags pay so little its not worth the bother , so for most stuff apart from birds im happy with jpeg as I can see a future were the raws wont open anyway , were everything opens jpeg. I understand all the things against jpeg but in the end at this point in my life I find even when I convert from raw bird shots I rarely keep the raws unless they are premium special shots. I find it pointless having thousands of gigs of raw files I will never go back to and I am fed up with being held to ransom by photoshop, stopped at elements 14 and as long as it keeps working ill stick at that level , so answer short version Both. :)
  15. Dvorak

There's a new version of Photoshop available from today. Full of fascinating improvements, refined features and lot of new stuff.

Which is of course, why I pay my tenner a month. Well, for that, and also for the Lightroom and a range of graphics and video editing software that comes with it all which my daughter and I use a lot.

But I shan't be downloading it just yet. Unless it's a security fix I do tend to wait a little while for all software updates and let others do the road testing.
  16. Oy

Having just retired I no longer have access to the full Adobe CC suite on the work licence. So I've subscribed to the Photoshop and Lightroom plan at £9.98 per month. For something that's so important to me I consider that a bargain.
  17. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

I have not long back upgraded my laptop to a Dell G3, in the deal I got Elements 2021 to upgrade from Elements 9 which I have had for a long time, the new Elements opens my raw shots off any camera I use in a new window that opens up that for me is just the same as lightroom.£90 from Curries or Amazon no monthly fees.I shoot RAW and jpeg simply because I like to WiFi some shots to my phone for social media posting, jpegs being smaller files.
  18. You'll probably find that the jpegs transferred from a camera to a phone are compressed even more.
  19. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

Good enough for social media,and compressed again by faceache but good enough for phone viewing and saves me taking the same shot on my phone that I want to share there. ;)
  20. That is what I thought with Elements 14 but if I drag and drop RAW files in it opens another screen that can edit them. Then changes to jpeg to carry on in Elements.