1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printers are evil

Discussion in 'Printing and displaying' started by Eric Bong, May 9, 2023.

1. Alas, my Epson XP-750 is no more. It is an ex printer. It has lasted me nearly 8 years and caused me no end of stress and agro in that time, with blocked nozzles and a CISS system that continually needed the chips resetting.

I am looking to replace it with something and I really am wondering if I need a 6 colour printer these days. I quite like the Epson ecotank setup with four inks, and I am wondering if that will be enough for most of my work to go on the wall (important stuff I will get done by DSCL). I also can use OEM ink in the tanks rather than the massively expensive Epson stuff. Print technology has come a long way, which is why I am questioning whether I need all the faff of 6 inks and a CISS (I seem to spend half my life covered in printer ink whenever the old one threw a wobbler, which was often).

Anyone else using a 4 colour printer for photo prints?
  2. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

DSCL for me - and Loxley Colour for clients.
  3. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

I've never had much of a problem with my Epson, which is about the same age. Some issues with Mac software updates, but sorted via a phone call.

I kept well away from CISS systems having read all the faff. But apart from document printing and the occasional emergency photo prints (always on Epson paper) I'd never use it for most colour work.

DSCL is so much cheaper than the cost of home printing and far better quality.