1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pointy Sickle

Discussion in 'Architecture' started by Oy, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Our last stop on the way home from our recent 3 days in North Wales.

The Pontcysyllte Aqueduct - pronounced PONT-CUSS-ULTH-TAY according to the locals in the pub at the end of it.

Mrs Oy wasn't keen on the walk across but she did it :)

"The Pontcysyllte Aqueduct is a navigable aqueduct that carries the Llangollen Canal across the River Dee in north east Wales. The 18-arched stone and cast iron structure, which took ten years to design and build, was completed in 1805. It is now the oldest and longest navigable aqueduct in Great Britain and the highest in the world."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. The tiny lift bridge at the other end. (Well - round the corner at the other end.)
    [​IMG]

5. The Cefn Viaduct from the aquaduct
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  2. Great shots of a great bit of engineering Number 4 for me :) you have 2 x number 4s in the thread :)
  3. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Good for her!

Fine light to end, even if the loco's wrong of course. :p
  4. nice set, enjoyed these. the walk looks scary all right and I am sure the boat is even worse.
  5. Yep that, I'd move it ;)
  6. Lovely view from up there :)
  7. Oy

I waited for it - haha!

8. Hehe, was a joke. Fine where it is, things don't have to be on thirds or within 'rules'.
  9. Oy

I took the pic for the Railway Architecture Group on Facebook. I'd have preferred a more interesting train though lol.
  10. It colours compliment the scene, even if it isn't blowing steam!
  11. Never been over there yet without meeting either a pushiron or a pram half way. If I'm not touching the rail I'm standing still lol. Cracking place and nicely togged. No.2 is the shot here.
  12. Looks great. Definitely only suited for narrow boats.
  13. Seen lots of shots of that place but never walked across it. They made me walk over the Clifton Suspension bridge when I was at Uni in Bristol 24 years ago. When I got to the other side I then realised I had to walk back! I am not good with heights so full praise to Mrs Oy for conquering it.
  14. I sailed across a couple of times years ago. The side looks very thin at that height!

Tom
  15. Saw that on Railway Walks. Lovely spot for a tog.
  16. Sam

Sam

A nice selection,No2 and the last one for me.:)