1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pictures used in new bird book

Discussion in 'Bragging rights' started by jon_t, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Nice to know two of the most renowned ornithologists of modern times, Lars Svensson and Hadoram Shirihai will be using some of my pictures in the soon to come Handbook of Western Palearctic Birds, Volume I, by Lars Svensson and Hadoram Shirihai. An epic work. I will get a credit in the book also. [​IMG] I am happy with that [​IMG]
    This is one of the shots being used [​IMG]

Picture - Black Redstart - Little orme Llandudno March 2016

[​IMG]Black Redstart- Male by John Tymon, on Flickr

:)
  2. brilliant well done and deserved Birdman
  3. Well done John
  4. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Well done John!

Just a pity they don;t pay for stuff like this. No wonder pros find it difficult to make a living these days.
  5. Excellent news John. You must be well proud.
  6. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

True.

But congratulations on the kudos and a special birdie (I last saw one on the old Liverpool docks around Canning before the restoration).
  7. Massive doff'd cap!!
  8. Excellent news but WHY don't we get paid for this stuff? And don't say "because we aren't professionals." If you wrote a song you'd expect to be paid wouldn't you? Still the kudos is of great standing and you are obviously well satisfied with that. A hearty well done.
  9. Sam

Sam

I bet you are chuffed,the pic is a great one,I can't see why they don't pay any money for the photo though.
  10. No ones said im not being paid yet, but id rather have a discounted book which is what I will ask for the issue with a bird guide like this ,there are over 4000 images ,so the cost of paying for the pictures ,would probably be outweighed by the amount of books of this type they will sell. The books around £75 mind ,so will just have to see ,im in touch with the publisher, who is keeping me updated.
    When my pictures are used in Magazines like Birdwatch or birdwatching the usual fee for a small print is just £15 so low that most of the time I just ask for 6 months subscription instead,its not money but its better than nothing and £15 its not worth bothering the taxman, who may think I get published daily rather than once a month. :)
  11. Sounds like a good deal to me. get them to autograph it saying "thanks for the pictures!"
  12. Well done! :)