1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On The Wrong Track - Birkenau

Discussion in 'Architecture' started by Spenian, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Scary. Very scary. Not sure what to say about shots like this, difficult to critique when all you can think about is the horror it represents.
  2. I agree with the above comments. It's simple and powerful and yes... very scary :(
  3. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

I think they should bulldoze these places and plant a garden. I can't think of a place I'd like to visit less!

Well photographed though.
  4. well commented all - one of those places that draws you, but you don't really want to go. Moving pic.
  5. I have to say this is a great picture of a terrible place. It immediately invoked that feeling of revulsion for that time in history. Whilst it still does that it serves a purpose not to forget.
  6. Haunting but well captured and thanks for posting
  7. Sam

Sam

It was an horrible place,but I believe it should be kept as a reminder of what happened there.
  8. Oy

Do you really think anyone is going to forget? I think we'd remember just fine with a nice memorial.
  9. Looked at this a few times and still think the same.
    Sorry not happening for me?
    Why anyone would want to visit baffles me?
    A very strong image...
  10. Vic

Vic

Spooky place this, it sends the mind into overdrive with horrible thoughts of what took place here...... sorry not for me....:(
  11. Thanks for your replies guy's, everybody has an opinion on everything in life and I fully respect that, I travelled to Krakow for a long weekend and got the chance to go here, yeh it's not a nice place for all that went on but it was a chance I could not miss, the thing what hit me was the shear scale of the camp, alot bigger than Auschwitz and how the world ceased to stop the goings on when they knew about it amazes me, I know the technology has changed dramatically since then but they had all the aerial shot's they needed to have proof.
    Sorry if this picture offend's anyone it was not intended.
  12. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Having been to that very spot and experienced the atmosphere and emotion at first hand I can vouch for the effect of the place. It remains an open wound that society needs to keep in mind. For me it was more powerful in its crumbling bleakness than, say the lush modern and National Memorial Arboretum, which serves a similar, albeit opposite effect. Both have their place.

As well as paying my respects by travelling there, I felt my photography there was my own tiny contribution to keeping the story alive: I am with you on careful, respectful scenes like this in their place.
  13. A good mix of comments, I don't think it will have offended anyone and I expect you will long remember your visit.
  14. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

I like your low angle on the shot really draws you in.
  15. Oy

No offence taken here - just expressing my opinion :)
  16. very powerful great image
  17. Very powerful lead in lines. I have heard many comments from people who have visited both Birkenau and Auschwitz. People have a habit of forgetting things they don't like to be reminded of and even now you have the idiots who keep insisting the Holocaust never happened. personally I would lock those idiots up here.....and lose the key.
  18. That hits the spot nicely and brings back the horrors of what happened there.

I'm a bit of a Star Trek TNG fan, and in the film 'First Contact' Data observed Picard touching the spaceship that first made the jump to warp speed and asked Picard 'Does touching it make it more real?' I think it does, and for that reason places like this and others should stay.