1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New ff again d800

Discussion in 'Cameras and lenses' started by jon_t, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Just picked up a very cheap D800 body with only 2000 shutters ,there is an advantage of working in a camera shop sometime ,just a quick ask here is the D800 still a great camera it once was, for me it sounds perfect for trying ff. And for anyone who has used one shooting raw , is SRGB ,the way to go or RGB ? Oy I'm sure you will have used one a lot? And care there disadvantages of 36mp?sharpness etc?
  2. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

It's certainly still the same camera it was when released. I still use mine for pro work on events when I just want two good solid workhorses. D800 and D850 are a great pair.

Certainly a big step up from your recent D700.

Are you sure 36mp is enough though? :rude: If you shoot at 36mp then reduce in size for forums etc you MUST resharpen once scaled down. Smart Sharpen in PS does the job nicely.

As for sRGB - that's a coice you make when exporting from RAW. A RAW file has no colour space. And yes - sRGB is the way to go.
  3. I just read a book on the d800 and the writer insists that the colour space you should use when shooting raw is Adobi RGB? Is he wrong ?
  4. Oy

IMO - Yes.

Shootingt RAW is nothing to do with colour space. If you shot sRGB when shooting JPG then exporting the RAW to sRGB is the same thing. If you shot Adobe RGB in JPG and knew and understood why? (Printing on a CMYK press is one) then exporting a RAW file as it - is the same thing. If you don't print then Adobe RGB is a blind alley to muted colours.
  5. Thanks I rarely print so I will stay with default sRGB. In your oppinion is the D800 a good next step from the D700 for someone who can't afford more ? Although I sell then everyday I'm a ff virgin really as a user.
  6. Oy

The D800 is a GREAT step up from the D700. It does take some getting used to and the resolution means that any poor glass will struggle to render the detail needed. I'd try ditching the x1.7TC and just crop in more for starters. Or at least swap it for a x1.4.
  7. I'm going to most likely use it for other things than birds,the d500 does fine for that ,but I think the streight 300 with the d800 could be good for dragonfly, flars and landscapes if I pick up a cheap 16- 35 or something similar along the way, I only have ff lenses the 300 pf and 50mm f 1.8 for now so see what I can do,I'm just trying something different as the opportunity arises it was hard to turn down at the price I paid :)
  8. Oy

Sounds good :)
  9. Picking up a 105mm 2.8 sigma tomorrow ready f bug Hunting in Summer ,so I'll try that on the D800 I think :)
  10. Oy

Your 300mm F4 will be great for Dragonflies too!
  11. Yes it will it focuses to 1 m I normally use that I'm trading a pretty useless 30mm Panasonic m43 macro lens too short for anything apart from flars close ,for the sigma so win win I think it's the newest version of the 105 too. :)