1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marmite HDR dereliction

Discussion in 'Architecture' started by Foinavon, May 23, 2017.

1. One thing I have learned on here is to reign in on the HDR when I do it. Don't over cook it, due it subtly. In the beginning it was all over the top with halos etc so it was good to get this advice.

However..

When its dereliction and urban decay I will come out and say it. I like it painterly/cranked up/overcooked however you wish to view it. Feast your eyes on these!! All at the abandoned brick works.

1 [​IMG]Factory by Paul Bennett, on Flickr

2 [​IMG]Hole in the Roof by Paul Bennett, on Flickr

3 [​IMG]Plank by Paul Bennett, on Flickr

4 [​IMG]BTK? by Paul Bennett, on Flickr

5 [​IMG]Rack in Ruin by Paul Bennett, on Flickr

6 [​IMG]Derelict Electric by Paul Bennett, on Flickr

7 [​IMG]Graffiti Shack by Paul Bennett, on Flickr

8 [​IMG]Needs some TLC by Paul Bennett, on Flickr
  2. Nice set, I love a bit of HDR me.

Do you do faux or real HDR? I find using a base image and adding in a HDR layer a good way to tone it down. Plus the HDR in light room is really subtle and just gives lots of dynamic range to use without the cartoony look.
  3. these are great and I think these need to have that bumped up look, I find that it looks much better if you pull back the greens a little as this is what usually gives it the overcooked look.

Keep them coming;.
  4. Delightful dereliction, great set.
  5. Not really a fan of HDR but the interiors here suit the processing
  6. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Yep - this is what grungy HDR is for! :clap:
  7. 7 and 8 for me. like the power lines in 7.
  8. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

The scenes and images speak for themselves - they need a polish sometimes in the mangle, but not this much. Half as much. :p Well, maybe a quarter.

9. Its real actually. I use Photmatix. I use lightroom but I only have version 5 which doesn't do HDR (I don't think it does I can't find it anywhere!). Its a good tip about using a base real image though.
  10. Cool, I don't count faux as HDR really as it's faked.

I use 9 shots on the whole, and used to use photomatix or Nik, nik is free now so have a look at that. Gives some different looks to photomatix and I find that some subjects work better in one than the other.
  11. Sam

Sam

The title works,so do the images,the 2nd looks very dodgy.:)
  12. Good shots. Where is this brickworks ?
  13. It's near the village of Hipperholme in West Yorksire.
  14. I like the first shot.. It looks a great location and suits HDR.. lol but my eyes cant cope with some of them!
  15. Thanks very much.
  16. I love the location and agree that the subject may cry out for the treatment. My eyes need a little break though :)
  17. Lovely grungy look but the colour one is a bit overdone for me. I use to use Photomatix but I got fed up with the look of it and have used the faded HDR shots over the original shots many times. (Thank you to Mr D for that advice some years ago.) HDR is a bit of a false thing anyway as our monitor screens can't really show you proper HDR.

I prefer to either tonemap an image in Photomatix (which I haven't done for ages) or just use the plugin I have in Photoshop and then tone that down rather than go for the full HDR look. Each to their own
  18. I do like these shots. HDR working well on these type of shots :)