1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop advice please

Discussion in 'General chit-chat' started by gasman, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Do any of you nutters use a laptop to run Lightroom or Photoshop? If so, what do you have?
    Many thanks.
  2. I only use Lightroom and don't use P Shop although I have it. I use a Dell Latitude 5570 w/32 GB memory and i7 processor 64 bit system. Running Windows 7 Professional

I use IOLO to refresh the memory when it starts loading up and slowing down
  3. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

2019 Macbook with 16gb Ram and 256gb SSD hard drive .

Mrs Oy uses it most but it comes in handy for photo editing when we're on hols. Does the job just fine.
  4. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

I have not long back got a Dell G3 gaming laptop 16g ram, 500g SSD, Nividia graphics card, Intel core 1.7, Windows 10.i didn't get it for gaming but for the graphics card 16g ram and 500 SSD. The colours are great and it's fast. I also got in the package Elements 2021 upgrade from elements 9 which I used for a long time, elements 2021 opens raw files in a window which is basically lightroom which I had on my last laptop. It also has two fans as its for gaming so no worries of overheating. I bought it direct from Dell who was selling it with a £300 reduction in the deal, its not cheap but the best I have owned. I don't have a desk top computer.
  5. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Slightly older Macbook, same RAM, albeit with a 500gb hard drive (for my music). Use it all the time - literally.

Video editing for work, photo editing for you. Microsoft Teams (boo). And Pacman (hurray).

All day every day. Easily plugs into other monitors too or casts to our main television set.

Daughter just got* an Macbook Air this year. 16gb ram there and running PS all day long. And Steam for gaming.

And yes, though Mac lappies cost three times as much they will last you three times as long...if not more so.

Enjoy the decision!

*Well in fact, it was my money of course.
  6. Thanks guys, I'll check them out :thumbup:
  7. Mac's do last a long time, I went Mac when I first got into photography and had a MacBook Pro. My MacBook lasted about 5 years, and it was 5 years of hard use.

If you do go Mac, then get Apple Care as it extends the warranty to 3 years. I am having the odd issue with my iMac at the mo, and they have always been very helpful and knowledgable. Buy from Apple as they don't quibble over stuff, when I got my MacBook an updated model came out a few days later, which was higher spec for the same price. I stormed into the shop expecting a fight and they just said, do you want the difference as a refund or wanna swop for the newer one with no questions asked. When I upgraded the RAM in it, they swopped it for free as I was having issues getting the back off, even though I hadn't bought the RAM from Apple...
  8. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Five years? :geek:

I used my original MBP every day and out and about for a decade. :p It still works well enough. Daughter recently upgraded her Macbook White after 9 years (including college and Uni) and basically 24/7 use. Current MBP is a 2015 model and working nicely with the latest OS.