1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Nikon D700 still worth having?

Discussion in 'Cameras and lenses' started by jon_t, Jul 20, 2022.

1. I have just taken possession of an old Nikon D700 full frame camera ,only 12mp but a Classic of its time ,I have a D500,a D7200,.so this will be the first Full Frame Camera I've ever owned,its done 1200 shutters,hadn't even had the clock set and needed the firmware upgrade which I've done, in your opinion is it still a good camera and worth me buying another 50mm f 1.8 to stick on it or will I be disappointed after using the d500.
    I'm not thinking of using it for bird photography ,prob just now andcagain for garden or landscapes,is it a keeper?
  2. It’s high iso performance was fab, I loved mine and don’t think my D850’s are as good as my 700 was. I’d say it’s most definitely a keeper.
  3. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

I recently resurrected mine and did some test shots. Still the fab camera that it was! Currently in use by a Ukranian girl who had to flee and leave all her kit behind.

I did 10x8 foot prints off mine for roadside ads!
  4. Sounds great ,looks like it's worth keeping then thinking of using it with the 50mm f1.8 and probably occasionally my 300mm pf . Who buys one does 1200 shots then leaves it for 12 years ,I couldn't believe it when I checked the shutter count at 1200 it said 1% of shutter life used lol
  5. Sounds great,seems very robust towards the newer versions.
  6. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

It's a pro camera. It was basically a no-grip version of the D3.
  7. Yes and has it was free more or less ,it will just cost me a little bit for a 50mm lens and I've put a mint second hand one of those away at work to pick up at the weekend the sensor was clean ,I did a sensor clean anyway all I can think is someone bought it back in 2008-2009 and then something went wrong were it wasn't used at all.