1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel a gear shake up.

Discussion in 'Cameras and lenses' started by TA-THANX, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Looking at full frame dslr, some good prices on 5d mk3 due to the going mirrorless trend, a lot of rubbish out there too.
    I have a couple of nice fast primes that look good on my old 50d crop but would sing on a full frame.
    Will probably keep the 50d because not really worth selling they go for buttons.
    I'll see what happens but the price has to be right.
  2. Hope you get what you are after. Looking forward to the pics
  3. *Dons protective suite*
    I’m probably one of the few Canon fans on here (never known anything else if I’m honest). I have a 5D3 and love the RAW files. I used to have a 6D (much better high ISO than the 5D3) -very light and good for travel. I know there’s much ‘better’ gear out there, but there’s plenty of great used examples out there of the 5D2 / 3 / 4 and 6D / 2. Enjoy!
  4. A gear shake up sounds a good thing!

I’m too stuck in the mud and my ways, full frame DSLR all the way. I did think of buying a mirrorless camera, but I just like big cameras, so I bought another drone instead!

I have big hands and feel they just sit better in my hands more comfortably and even more so with a big lens with the counter balance. Like my 500mm PF it has a battery gripped DSLR at the other end and it just feels ‘right’ less so when I had it without the grip.

Canon/Nikon/Fuji/etc - who cares! Just take pics with a big ass camera!
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  5. I got gazumped at the last moment with the first choice, round 2 :rofl:
  6. MPB not got anything at a good price?
  7. Round 2 was a fail got out bid early on, round 3 is under way and if this doesn't pay off MPB it is, they have some good examples. But you can find some good'uns on fleabay too at considerably lower prices. On fleabay I put in what I'm prepared to pay and walk away, I don't get into bidding wars like some do, you can see this in the bidding history some folk keep going in with higher bids, I think that is a dangerous thing to do and you never know if they are trying to push the price up, that is why I do what I do and put the maximum bid in first time and walk away some times it works and get it cheaper.
    The first one I bid on was a 5dmk3 and put a cheeky bit of £510, and in the dying seconds it sold for £520 :rofl: but you don't know what the maximum bid they put in so just going a extra tenner might work but might not work as well.
    Currently bidding on a 5dmk2 :mangle: a bit older but still a very capable camera.
  8. Good luck,

I agree that is the only way to play eBay. Stick your max in and leave it!
  9. Are you a member at Talk Photography? I've had some absolute bargains from there over the years.
  10. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

WEX (Warehouse express) do decent used stuff now too.
  11. :thumbup:
  12. They've been doing the used stuff for a few years now, I've had a couple of used lenses from them.
  13. I'm less than five foot and have tiny hands. Literally, I use gardening gloves age 5-8. I still love my D800 though and will plough on because I love the quality :)
  14. I managed after a few frustrating attempts on Ebay, there's some dodgy things going on, almost ever time it get to the last few seconds about 10 bids fly in and take it up past what you could get one from MPB, Wex and the like. But then a kept seeing items put back on with the comment "relisting due to time wasters"
    Anyway I saw a 5d mk2 in good condition with original charger and a extra battery and only 16000 clicks on a buy now for £315, and it was quite local Stockport. So of a toddled with £320, he was a pleasant Polish chap that had gone mirrorless and he even left the SanDisk 16gb ultra CF memory card in it, and then to top it off he gave me £20 back because I hadn't messed him about with the sale.
    So now the rest of the gear and what to do. What are peoples experiences of MPB when trading stuff in and swapping via the carrier service. I was happy with what they quoted but didn't go through to the end.
  15. Awesome!!! What a top chap you bought from.

I’ve sold a fair amount of kit with MPB, drones, cameras and lenses.

The courier pick up is great, and is with MPB the next day and been paid either that day or the day after.

I have never had them downgrade my quote, and they even upgraded my payment on an item I put as good and they uplifted it to excellent and a fair bit extra cash.
  16. Excellent I must give it a go then.
  17. Another shout for MPB: have been buying and selling stuff with therefor years - highly efficient service and gear bought always as quoted.
  18. And yet another shout - Bought lots, and sold a few things with MPB. Can't fault them. Superb.
    Have my reservations about Wex. They do sell quality second hand gear, but the one time I tried selling stuff to them, they cocked things up unbelievably - lost half the stuff I'd handed over, and then denied they'd ever received it, even though it was itemised on my receipt.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  19. Jod

Jod

...and another shout for MPB, sold my old Canon 60D plus lenses, all valuations approved, and just sold my Fuji XT2 and 55-200 lens, same again! Both times very quick free courier service, approved in two days, money in the bank on day three. Absolutely hassle-free way to sell.
  20. Bugger, I wished that I knew that you had the X-T2 for sale :oops: