1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hoover Dam...The inner gubbins

Discussion in 'Anything else' started by DaveInFL, Jan 26, 2017.

1. A couple of weeks back I had the chance to fly into Las Vegas for a work trip...well, the work trip was in Arizona but Las Vegas was the closest airport, so I decided to get there early and check out the Hoover Dam. I have to say, very, very interesting. It would be a place that Sheldon loves. Did a tour on the inner workings and the history of the dam and there was some great information.

Anyway, a few interior pics.

1. One of the first things they have to do is divert the Colorado river. No easy feat. This is one of the diverting tunnels (think they said it was 50 feet wide) that diverted the rivers path. There is another on the other side. This left the riverbed 'dry' where they wanted to build the dam. They still had to clear something like 150ft worth of silt to get to the river bed.
    [​IMG]20170108-HooverDam-8-HDR by Dave Williams, on Flickr

2. There are 8 turbines on each side of the damn...I believe these were the ones on the Nevada side, but I could be wrong.
    [​IMG]20170108-HooverDam-14-HDR by Dave Williams, on Flickr

[​IMG]20170108-HooverDam-15-HDR by Dave Williams, on Flickr

[​IMG]20170108-HooverDam-26-HDR by Dave Williams, on Flickr
  2. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Looks an interesting place!
  3. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

The scale! The power!

Truly fascinating, thank you for sharing. One of the real pleasures of this forum is being taken to places by friendly guides, giving us the chance to see unusual or hard to reach places and enjoy the resulting images. Cheers.
  4. Looks a fascinating place. Its the mono one for me.
  5. It does look absolutely fascinating :)