1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future of the Bi-Weekly

Discussion in 'Competitions & challenges' started by Oy, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

So - the Bi-Weekly comp is dying.

After 222 comps we're down to a handful of entries - hardly enough to get a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for the homepage.

Is it worth bothering?

Is there something we can do to revive it?

Is there something we can do instead?

Like a field of corn - I'm all ears :)
  2. Hi Mr Oy, Am I right in thinking that for the Bi-Weekly you have to go out and take the shot in those two weeks?, if so for me personally I just can't find the time to do that. A Monthly comp perhaps?.
  3. Oy

Yes that's rtight. Monthly is definitley an option.
  4. I'm in the same situation as Kevin. It would be a shame to let it die, but maybe we could try something else for a bit to see how that goes :)
  5. To be honest this is the one thing that has improved my photography over the years. I love to take part but have struggled for the time like a lot of people. The comp makes me look at the world differently and gives me inspiration even if I haven't submitted a picture. Still looking for the picture. Happy to see it monthly if that allows more chance to post pictures. However, when I post two images I just want to move onto next comp. So every two weeks is preferred.
  6. For me, it's getting the time, however, a monthly comp could be better.
  7. For various reasons I have not done much photography in the last year but I am back up and running again now so would expect to participate more regularly. I like the biweekly a month is too long for me. Also I like to try to take a shot specifically with the theme in mind and not something I happen to have taken which fits the theme. Only a suggestion. Keep it bi-weekly but allow some latitude on the capture date in case something you took the week before fits the theme.
  8. I like to enter, and like Drei says it stimulates my brain to try to get something for the brief. I like the fact it can’t be done with back catalogue work and has to be bespoke.

I’m broke again at the minute, so not able to get out to actually take a pic. I have entered home based stuff in the past, and try to think of I can get a relevant pic within my limitations.

I would like it to continue, and pretty much in its current form. Maybe some slight leeway on admissions like suggested. For example close it at midnight on the last day, but if the judge doesn’t get to it for a day or two it’s still open till the judging is done?
  9. I think Monthly would work and the recent subjects have not been easy to enter ,zoom compression for instance ,I had to google what it was and did have a try ,but in the end the pic I did ,looked pretty dire ,so didn't enter ,i think a little bit more explanation as to what is required ,don't assume everyone who is on here knows about some complex types of photography without a bit more explanation :) me being mainly wildlife ,find some of teh subjects out of my comfort zone ,and sometimes in 2 weeks ,don't get the chance to do anything different .This was the zoom compression I attempted and decided was crap - leigh spinners mill and Winter Hill 20 miles behind it with the 300 f4 + tc 1.7. Sometimes I attempt the comp but come up too short to enter. :) I Didn't even know if this was what was meant by zoom compression .

[​IMG]DSC_7432 by John Tymon, on Flickr
  10. Oy

Some good thoughts so far - many thanks.

[​IMG]
  11. @jon_t Google to the rescue :)
    I suppose you're are right, I should have explained it clearly in the post, I'm not the best at expressing myself with text.
    But your shot is a fine example of zoom compression, you should have posted it.
  12. yep I probably should ,but I couldn't get it any clearer,so it looked a bit dull :)

13. Does it involve turnips?
  14. Oy

Could be!
  15. For me it’s not possible as I work 6 days a week and my personal time is very limited as I’m generally to knackered to go out and do much.
  16. I enjoy the challenge of trying something different but time is also an issue for me. If 2 weeks is too short & 4 too long, what about 3 weekly :)
  17. @Oy, I have provided my feedback to you on this in the past but I guess my input didn't go over well :p since nothing changed. Monthly probably a good option. Should photos that win the weekly be allowed in to the monthly?
  18. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Technically not, no.

A very few have slipped in over the years simply because I hadn't spotted the shot someone had nommed from an ordinary thread had also been submitted into the theme comp. I'm sorry about that; there's a lot of cross-checking to do!
  19. Oy

So - those that want to voice an opinion have, so how's this.

We go monthly - but I'd like to make it a monthly theme not just a comp where everyone whaps in their entries in the last few days.

How about we have a monthly theme with people posting and commenting on shots in one big thread throughout the month. Asking for advice and swapping ideas along the way. Helping each other learn and grow.

Then in the last week we open a comp thread for folk to enter their best two.

Thoughts?
  20. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

:thumbup:

Let's give it a try Boss.

I'm as guilty as I suspect several others are at struggling to enter as I don't like being told what to photograph. Sorry about that. :p

It'll be a good reminder that this is about sharing and community not just a showcase for your own photos. Although there had better not be bigger or more expensive prizes on offer than for PotW!