1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flash gun for a Nikon D500

Discussion in 'Photography basics' started by gasman, Jul 15, 2018.

1. I haven't used a flash gun for years and now would like to try one - any suggestions?
  2. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

SB700 is good

I have 3 x SB800 and a SB910 :)
  3. Blimey guv :) OK, which do you prefer and why?
  4. Oy

The old SB800s just keepon going - but are fiddly to set up for anything but basic on camera flash.

Both the SB700 and 910 have a more modern set up so are a lot easier to swith between Master, Slave, Remote etc.

In general I use the SB910 on camera and the SB800s as slaves.
  5. Both the 700 and 910 look good mate. If you were in my position ( complete novice and only for occasional shots ) which would you recommend?
  6. Oy

The SB700 will do everything you want and is cheaper.
  7. Just had a look and it appears fine for me mucker. Have you tried any other makes?
  8. Oy

I have a Nissin for my Fuji and although it works ok for basic stuf - it's not a patch on the Nikons for features and creative use.
  9. I have a SB800 and 2x SB910. The 910 unit is a lot easier to use, more power but also bigger.

Have you thought of the SB600? Get one cheap, and all depends what you wanna do with it? On camera or off?

I use mine off, with some cheap remote trigger. Have to use them in manual, but way cheaper than the daft expensive ones that let yo pu control power. I find it more reliable than using the infra red built in as don’t need lone of sight and have a lot longer range to place the flash.
  10. Thanks Stan, I'll look into those.
  11. I have an SB700 that I don't use. Bought new by myself, mint and boxed with everything present if you're interested.
  12. I certainly am and thanks. I'll send you a message.
  13. Not having a flashgun,anyone give me a basic reason why theres a screen on the back of them ,do you have to set them up for speed,f stop etc or if I get one can I just bang it on and fire shots ,or is the more setting up needed. I can see some on Amazon NEEWER ones for aboy £25 why would I pay £300 for a Nikon?
  14. Oy

Ok - where to start? :)

Firstly - Neewer are usually cheap Chinese copies of other brands. And while they can be good value - they are cheap for a reason. Work bought us ome Neewer kit - video LED panels and a tripod. The LCD panels are ok but time will tell how they last. The tripod looks very nice - all modern and shiny - but it's so cheaply built it's unuseable for video work.

The old three point rule applies...

GOOD
    RELIABLE
    CHEAP

Pick any TWO of the above. You can't have all three.

So what do I look for in a good flash?
    • Good solid and reliable build quality.
    • iTTL metering - so you can just point and shoot in certain circumstances.
    • A zoom head that automatically adjusts the width of the beam of light to the focal length selected.
    • Full manual control option.
    • Balanced outdoor fill flash.
    • A gfood range of tilt and swivel adjustment for bouncing the light off a ceiling, wall or reflector.
    • AF assist illumination to help auto docus in low light.
    • Compatibility with you camera's off camera flash capability.
    • Thermal protection to stop the unit overheating - important at weddings where you're shooting continuously all day.
    • Easy switching between modes such as Master, Slave, Remote.
  15. Brilliant explanation :thumbup:
  16. I use an SB900 that i picked up at a good price and it does the job nicely.
  17. All sorted now, courtesy of Finbar - top man :thumbup: