1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double the pixels, anybody?

Discussion in 'Photo processing' started by Dvorak, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Maybe I am slow to the party, but has anyone used Photoshop Enhance?

"You can mark this day down as a major shift in the photo industry" said one review. If you open an image in Adobe Camera Raw rather than Lightroom, you can now select an option to double the resolution of your raw file.

What is says is that in practice, the reviewer "immediately tested this out and was pretty shocked by the results. ...I took the ... image shown below, which was captured a decade ago with a Nikon D700 — a 12MP camera — and ran the Super Resolution tool on it and the end result is a 48.2MP image that looks to be every bit as sharp (if not sharper) than the original image file. This means that I can now print that old 12MP image at significantly larger sizes than I ever could before. Kudos to the folks at Adobe for creating a truly revolutionary addition to Photoshop. I have tried some of the Topaz AI software options, like Topaz Gigapixel AI, but I have not seen it work this well."

This new Super Resolution tool will upres any image as long as the resulting “Enhanced” image file is less than 65,000 pixels on the long side and under 500MP in total apparently.

Read all about it here.

Anyone...?
  2. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Got it - not found a use for it yet.
  3. Its not much different from the usual image enlarger in PS.
  4. To quote Cartier-Bresson - "sharpness is a bourgeois concept". It doesn't stand for quality. I revisited one of my Sony A700 images a few weeks ago, thinking I could do a quick mono conversion. Zoomed in, I was horrified at the lack of quality compared to my D800.
  5. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Interesting.

The way the critics describe this new AI interpolating tech, you'd think it was the most significant revolution ever. But then, one reviewer said even 24mp cameras were "low resolution" these days so I was offended!
  6. Seen some reviews and tutorials on it, a mixed bag and one I saw even said it only really worked were newer Fuji files. Saying that the same result could be achieved by enlarging and sharpening.

Not tried it myself and probably won’t bother as I’ve printed 30” off my old D40 and was plenty sharp in print, and with web sharing at 1400px I doubt I will ever need to enhance the pics I share in this way.
  7. Just had a play with this...
    WITCHCRAFT!!