1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different London Monuments

Discussion in 'Architecture' started by Dvorak, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

In a pleasant stroll around the capital with @gasman the other evening, we clocked a collection of wildly different statues and sculptures. And not a lion or Queen Victoria in sight.

1 Last time I was at the BBC this wasn't here, so I was keen to see it. George of course worked in Room 101 of Broadcasting House:

[​IMG]

2 Cavendish Square. This is called The Visitor by David Breuer-Weil (he was taught by one of Henry Moore's assistants. You can tell, ahem):

[​IMG]

3 On Moreton Street in Pimlico, we spotted, this by one André Wallace, who'd complained that as soon as it had been installed, they then stuck a lamp post right next to it and demanded it be taken down:

[​IMG]

4 The Lambeth Basaveshwara, honouring the 12th-century Hindu philosopher, statesman and poet. Not sure who changed 'work is worship' to 'work is hardship'. Presumably someone with a further left wing philosophy:

[​IMG]

5 Finally, a bit of "augmented reality street art" in Vauxhall by Edward von Lõngus. Some call him "the Estonian Banksy" (it says here):

[​IMG]
  2. All nicely done and interesting to me on this side of the pond
  3. Some lovely shots there mr. D
    Always fascinating to see different works of art
    Thanks for sharing
  4. Nice series of some different shots. I like the last, great framing & the pigeons appear to be appreciating the artistic talent
  5. Certainly makes a change from Albert and Victoria. Never knew about Mr Blairs statue and working in Room 101 explains a few things as well!
  6. Dvorak

Thank you for the feedback folks.
  7. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

It's the first and last for me - simplicity and chaos :)
  8. A really good set mate and a fine time spent in your company :) The last one is a beaut.
  9. very interesting, never heard of any of them
  10. The last one for me, the slight movement of the walkers and the pigeons, Great combination.
  11. excellent
  12. Nice collection.
    The Banksy thing has always puzzled me. The art I like, the political sarcasm I get, but this Guy turns up in the middle of the night, does his stuff and next minute there's a bfo fence round it, a load of hoohaaa then the owner of the wall ends up with 3 or 4 hundred grand for someone defacing his property LOL.
  13. Dvorak

Thank you for the feedback.

I try to make static monuments look interesting as photos without taking over or distracting from them. Neither do I just want to present someone else's art as my photo. Even the Orwell here had ten minutes of mangling to get it like you see. Any further tips or ideas about shooting statues or designs welcome.

And yes, I agree with @davep90 - Mr Banksy should go back to his noisy music or buy himself an easel.
  14. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

Interesting as we where talking about Orwell at Pub meet,last one for me I like the blurry folk and the not blurry pigeons who seem to admiring the art work.
  15. Fab set, was there no Gormley stuff littering the place. :)
  16. Dvorak

Photoshop sir, photoshop...
  17. Got to be number 1, photo and statue.