1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Church on a Hill

Discussion in 'Architecture' started by Polly, Jun 2, 2021.

1. A couple of miles from Faversham, on the top of the North Downs, at Boughton-under-Blean is St Peter & St Pauls church. Mentioned in the Doomsday Book, registers began in 1558. Inside [when I can] is a monument to Sir Thomas Hawkins, died 1612, accompanied by his seven sons and six daughters as 'weepers'.
    Brill info here - https://www.boughton-hernhill-graveney-churches.com/boughton
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    6 Close up of little window in no. 4
    [​IMG]
    7 View from bench in church yard
    [​IMG]
  2. Lovely stuff as always, really liking the last one.
  3. Interesting set.
  4. Tks matey - the guy running across the field shot out from behind the hedge just at the last minute.
  5. Great set Polly - love the detail - the pic of the door, and the one of the window. :)
  6. Fab stuff and my kind of place to explore :)
  7. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

:eek: Nooooo! Seven minutes too early. :p

How could you do this to me? Especially with such a fine building, lovely weather and good photography. Love that first one especially. Fab.

Do go back - and get that monument of Sir Tom. I can't say I studied him at Uni, but I did read his witty poem about Ben Johnson. More please!
  8. I knew you
    I knew you'd pick up on the clock lol lol Tried the door but still locked up.
    This Sir Thomas died in 1612, [although another site states Thomas senior died in 1617] the poet was his son also Thomas died 1640, interesting stuff - wouldn't have looked it up if you hadn't mentioned it.
    This is interesting - https://recusantsandrenegades.wordpress.com/page/2/ it's the Will of poet Thomas' brother Richard died 1642.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  9. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Thanks for that link.

And taking the teasing in good spirits. Now get back there please. At ten past ten if you would, please. Five past eleven will do, I suppose... :whistle:
  10. Good set, I did chuckle at the clock. :whistle:
  11. Nice bit of history well togged
  12. I know, he's such a nitpicker, bless him lol
  13. We wouldn't have him any other way. :)
  14. Cracking set and history Polly. That Yew tree is certainly old :) The first shot for me and it would be good to see the interior.
  15. good set
  16. Interesting bit of history and a nice set. No. 1 is my favourite
  17. I never even looked at the clock. I regard that as Mr D's prerogative these days. He'll remind us. Nice part of Englands heritage that selection.
  18. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

Love your History lessons in these church sets.
  19. The window close up is the winner for me.
  20. Tks lol, mostly a selection of info from on line sites - bit of a cheat really x