1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Church of St Michael - Hartlip

Discussion in 'Architecture' started by Polly, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Hartlip is a village near Sittingbourne. Built of flint with rubble & a red tiled roof, circa 13th - 15th C. Tower restored 1864-5 by R.C. Hussey. Interested by the frequent reference to Mr Hussey - looked him up. British architect Richard Charles Hussey, 1806 - 1887, seemed to be the 'go to' architect for the times. Between 1836 & 1861 was involved in the restoration of 21 English churches - which, considering the non-mechanised tools available, the frankly suicidal scaffolding & time taking for travelling, is quite alot.

Just missed clock hands being better placed by trying to avoid a herd of small orange clad little people having a Easter scripture lesson in the sunshine !! Perfect day :)

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1320011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    6 Tomb of Mary Gibbon - who endowed the Hartlip Primary School in 1678 [rebuilt in 1855] is situated next to the church.
    [​IMG]
  2. Great pics of a beautiful church, Polly.
    I particularly like number 3.
  3. Tks very much, sun was on my right behind the tree, diff to get one that side without the glare taking the colours away.
  4. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Good to see you doing your stuff.

I've been taking my exercise in some very local churchyards of late too.

Excllent light dappling that last one. It's always a treat to see interesting gravestones and features as you've done here. Just been reading about Mary Hartlip: as you always inspire me to look into the history.
  5. Well I'm known for making people laugh, especially on the phone, nice to have another positive effect too :)
  6. Lovely looking building, presented here very well.
  7. Super set of church architecture. My only complaint would be that you missed DV time by five minutes :). Impressive set.
  8. You got all the angles here. Its a fine looking church :)
  9. A good set with fascinating history too. I like the angle and light in No1.
  10. I know :( churchyard full of little school children in orange saftey jackets delayed me
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  11. tks matey
  12. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Nice set :)
  13. Nice set of shots, The first is my pick. It looks like it has some mighty stained glass windows, any chance to get inside and photograph them?
  14. Lovely building. Nice to see it from several angles.
  15. Nice set and good to see a blue sky :)
  16. I wish - hopefully at some point this yr, have all 2020's to catch on too.
  17. Tks.
  18. Lovely church and that's an interesting looking clock. Nice pov #1
  19. Amazing how they built these flint buildings. Nice set. :)
  20. Lovely old church once again.