1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-Weekly Bi-weekly no 180 - Never to be Repeated

Discussion in 'Competitions & challenges' started by Dvorak, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Here we go with the latest theme competition, starting now and closing at midnight on the 20th March (Dvorak time). Thanks to Deebo for the last one and for inexplicably picking me!

I am looking for a unique shot - or very nearly.

Something unusual, that you captured at a moment in time, that only you could get or no one else was able to get. Something really special, different, or not likely to be seen again anytime soon.

A real shot please, nothing beyond the proper processing. You can post a couple of images, colour, mono, cropped how you wish within our regular rules. It may be a unique moment but the best ones will be crisp and well togged. No blurry Shergars or Elvis sightings please.

I will judge the winner in a fortnight and that person gets to choose the next theme.
  2. You're not leaving us much to work with here :D

Interesting and challenging to say the least! :thumbup:
  3. great theme sir!
    This is going to be a fun one indeed and I need to pack my camera every day now!
  4. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Comp pix need to be taken during the comp period mate. In this case 7th - 21st March.
  5. Oops sorry.
  6. Dvorak

Let's have your shots, folks please.

One of the gang asked for more pointers as to what I am after, and I replied as follows. Hope it helps you all...

Street togging is a really good example - any event or incident that you capture which is special or one that sums up a particular moment in time. A family moment, a bird doing something different (ie not on a stick looking like the textbook shot from the birdbook). Cars going round the track are good, but if they bumped, or let out a blast of fire from the back, that's a special thing that perhaps only you spotted.

Basically, and as someone who does a lot of landscape work, I want to avoid shots of the castle or whatever that could have be taken anytime - unless of course it is a very special sunrise or just the right amount of mist. I can do a decent landscape, but I am sure others could match it, but were I to get the moment the eagle dives from that cliff, or the waves splash the dog and it runs away barking, then that would be a classic 'moment in time'.
  7. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

1.A passing Gull.
    [​IMG]
  8. I don't normally look in here because I seldom get out to take shots within the time frame. Thanks to @dreamtheater for the suggestion. Bubu on the bed this morning :)

[​IMG]
  9. Oy

Mixed messages

[​IMG]
  10. Dvorak

A bump for the competition folks. Get your unique shots in please - any moment or scene that's 'never to be repeated' please.
  11. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

2.Scotland welcomes tourists.
    [​IMG]
  12. In full flight

[​IMG]
  13. Dvorak

Last day for your to submit unique moment, things that are never to be repeated, particularly unusual, one-offs, special events; that's the theme. :)
  14. Oy

"Follow that car!"

[​IMG]
  15. Dvorak

Okay folks.

I thought I'd given you a really clear theme.

I was after moments that were NEVER to be repeated - unique events not likely to be repeated. I must say I was surprised not to see lots of people shots, street togging or similar - this was where I thought the unique would come in. I'd said landscapes would really need to be extra special and unlike anything else. We've had some rare sightings on the forum recently from several Nutters - these would have been ideal as twitchy treats.

Stansgang - Passing Gull
    That is a lovely landscape. But unless it's a really rare bird, it's not really 'never to be repeated' I don't feel.

Stanokella - Bargain bones?
    Ha ha ha. Love it. Made me smile and yes, pretty unusual and unlikely to be repeated.

Zooey - Untitled cat
    A sweet moment and although I am not a cat person, I am not sure this is 'never to be repeated'. It's a lovely shot as well though.

Oy - Mixed Messages
    This is what I envisaged. A good shot and four people with wonderfully varied body language. I am sure there are other tourists likely to stand there, but those expressions and that grouping - very different.

Stansgang - Scotland welcomes tourists
    A fun moment with a bit of a narrative going on. I like it. I like chips too.

Drei Löwen - In full flight
    Nicely presented and mangled well to look olde world. The modern plane and the sepia is certainly very unusual indeed.

Drei Löwen - Ride on by
    A lovely mad village scene with some interesting passers-by on their bikes, almost psuedo-Prisoner for those with long memories. Still need to find the unique moment though.

Davep90 - Fred Trueman
    Now. I'm not sure on this - a photo of a statue in an empty street is hardly a 'never to be repeated' moment in time. But to take the subject title slightly differently, this legendary cricketer was unique as a man and his world record wickets do make his achievements 'never to be repeated'. A good take on the subject theme, one I had not thought of.

Oy - Follow that car
    Perfect! A special moment in time, with the smoke, the pointy hand and the crowd's reactions. That, for me, is a 'never to be repeated' piece of action which made me say 'wow' when I saw it.

3rd place: Stanokella's bones
    2nd place: Davep90's Trueman statue
    1st place: Oy's car

Thanks all for playing - I'm sorry if the theme proved tricky and everyone who submitted something is to be commended. We've had loads of shots in various forums by Nutters in the last week or so that I felt were absolutely right for the theme - but not posted in the competition itself. Not to worry.

Hopefully no one is put off. Keep on togging!
  16. Well done all, some very good shots and I think the judging was spot on too. Well done @Oy
    Dee
  17. Was a decent turn out for a hard competition! Molls says thanks for the 3rd place.