1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-Weekly Bi-weekly. No 175 Christmas Light(s).

Discussion in 'Competitions & challenges' started by Foinavon, Dec 15, 2015.

1. A slightly predictable theme but its a particular aspect of it that I struggle with so lets see if you all can do better! Its open to interpretation what you regard as Christmas light, decorations, fairy lights, candle light etc etc. Lets run from 16th Dec - 3rd Jan. As its Christmas we can be relaxed about processing!
  2. Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  3. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Ho Ho Ho...

[​IMG]
  4. Christmas light

[​IMG]
  5. Hi everyone - happy new year etc. Not been able to get on the forum as much due to speed of life etc but I thought I'd better judge this whilst we are still in Christmas. I believe its the 11 day today. Technically still Christmas even though nowadays people tend to celebrate Christmas more in advent. Thought about them in the context of light, obviously unless you are submitting a black square then by definition there will be some light somewhere but how festive was it. Thank you for all the entries. I had a really hard time picking a winner, at least 4 pictures have held the top spot!

1) Merry Christmas - Stanokella

Nice to see some bokeh in there. (I think that's what you call it), and the big man himself looks good as does the snow. My feeling was if you Bokeh the lights they lose their festive look. However googling images of bokeh Christmas gives you images just like this, i,e, the bokeh lights with some additional Christmas image, and looking at it again I can make out the red and green (I think) of the Christmas Tree.

2) Ho Ho Ho - Oy

The big man again. Its amazing how he finds time to help so many Rotary clubs out. Good that he is making eye contact and the beardless part of his face is clear. As for the light we've got quite clearly on the sledge and some of the house decorations. Nice little touch to have a adult and child in a distant doorway.A great fun festive shot.

3) Christmas Light - Drei Löwen

Here he is again- At first I struggled with the light concept but then the penny dropped. He's light because he is hang gliding. Certainly out of the box thinking there.

4) Light on his feet - Andy

Nice Robin - Light on his feet refers to how Nimble it is. Again out of the box. I did find the big out of focus red thing (that looks like a stop sign) rather distracting.

5) Christmas Lights - davep90

I do like this one- I am a fan of color popping. What you have is the colour of Christmas but in the background a rather ominous swollen river which unfortunately has been a feature for far too many people this Christmas. I think it sums this Christmas up rather nicely.

6) Christmas Light - davep90

Nice basic composition - just the frankincense chap in focus. Sometimes Christmas scenes can be a bit garish but this is a nice back to basics look.

7) Artificial Light - Andy Good to see a Christmas Tree/Bauble shot. I have always found them great to look at for all the lights and colours. Not just now but since childhood. I am guessing the "artificial light" is a fairy light (or other) shining on the bauble and there is a fairly long exposure to create the effect. Interesting how the light spreads out with different colours. Plenty of food for thought with this one, the light is the key here.

ok after much musing here we go. Here's the Podium.

3rd Place - Christmas Lights Davep90
    2nd Place - Merry Christmas Stanokella
    1st Place - because I have spent so much time staring at it today like I often do at Christmas Trees.
    Artificial Light - Andy
  6. Must confess Foinavon, it's artificial light as i added the flare in Gimp. If that's against the rules then quite happy to stand down.
  7. Well I did day any mangling ok, so the result stands but you had me fooled!
  8. Oy

Well done all - next theme asap please @Andy :)
  9. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

My appologies for not entering,i think its the first comp I have missed but I was away over New year with no internet connection only getting home after the comp closed.Well done to those who made the effort.
  10. Ok chums, theme is "old school"
    Guessing this should run until Sun 17th Jan. Process how you like. All i ask is that anything used has been photographed by you within the time frame.
    Cheers
  11. Oy

Interesting - get the thread started then @Andy