1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ashton Memorial

Discussion in 'Architecture' started by Oy, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

From a car park roof in Lancaster City Centre.

'The Ashton Memorial is a folly in Williamson Park, Lancaster, Lancashire, England built between 1907 and 1909 by the millionaire industrialist Lord Ashton in memory of his second wife, Jessy, at a cost of £87,000.'

[​IMG]The Ashton Memorial by Dave Green, on Flickr
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  2. Nice and moody. Suits the B&W treatment.
  3. Seem this many times from the motorway and on here, but never in person, like this version of it.
  4. A lovely pic. I always think this place looks better taken from a distance, among the trees, than taken from the park surrounding it.
  5. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

No exif, but I know the town centre is at least half a mile away - so I am guessing this is taken with the new lens. It looks close and it looks crisp. Oh, and it looks good.
  6. Good one, nicely composed.
  7. Cracker
  8. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

1.25km on the map s the sheppy flies.

EXIF is there on FlickR if you click.
  9. Sam

Sam

An excellent shot.
  10. Nice one. Works really well in B&W.
  11. That works well in mono - nice one :)
  12. it immediately looked familiar and then I realised I knew absolutely nothing about it so thanks for the info.
  13. Seen it from the motorway many times but never close up. Must go for a closer look one day!
  14. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

Like it, i also like shots of it from distance there is a great view of it from a road that leads down to where the antiques and brewery place is.
  15. What a view and the sky is just perfect :)
  16. Excellent
  17. I like a nice folly and this is a really good take on the place.