1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Critique please Arty farty pretentious...

Discussion in 'Flora & fauna' started by dreamtheater, Jul 17, 2014.

1. ...BUGZ :p Ok they're not actually that arty farty but thought I'd try something a bit different.

Actually I have never seen so many small tortoishell and marbled whites (hopefully photos to come if they ever stop flying about!!) ...so great news for butterflies I think at least in this neck of the woods!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: I'll throw in a marbled white now, not the best but just in case I don't actually get another single shot of one!

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  2. I do like the first two. The reddish/brownish background really adds to the shot.
  3. It's a nice change to see something different but think the red background distracts from the red subject somewhat in the first 2?
  4. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

I love No1 - VERY nice shot!

No2 is nice but not as good.

I don;t like No3 - too bleached out and noisy for me for this subject. very jealous of getting the critter though - we don;t see those here.
  5. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Nice tries, but not for me. Mono yes, but to my taste (and very long discussion over in the chat room), wildlife shots need to be either as 'realistic' as possible or arty in a very abstract way.
  6. I think that first one works really well. Can'r put my finger on why the second isn't as good and the third......not for me.Too bright.
  7. Thanks guys, Yeh I only threw the last un in as it was the only marbled white shot I've managed! i knew these would divide opinion and that's fine with me they're just the first bugs of the season for me so maybe I'll try some different stuff... I'm curious @Dvorak what you mean very abstract? And yes I could of course have posted these straight as realistic/record shots but we see a lot of them (all great!) so thought I'd experiment..

Not sure I'd totally agree with either or, what if you wanted to portray more feeling or enhance the beauty / emotion a butterfly brings? I know I didn't succeed quite as they're probably more firey than beauty so maybe that's something I'll try next :)