1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apologies

Discussion in 'General chit-chat' started by Zooey, Apr 30, 2015.

1. I'm not ignoring the forum, but we've hardly had any internet connection for weeks. Someone knocked down our telegraph pole and we can't get BT to come and put it back up. Weeks ago, the engineer taped the line to a tree and the rest is draped along a hedge. Sometimes it works, but not if there is more than a breath of wind. I love living in the middle of nowhere, but it does have its disadvantages.

I can't load the pages with more than one image and tonight I sat for several more while I got the top 10% of a single image in one post. Maybe tomorrow... :wait:
  2. Apart from a new pole your going to need a new drop wire. Thats the line from the pole to your hse. Complain to BT and demand compensation. Your entitled to it after so many days of reporting the fault.
  3. :rofl:
    My husband reported the pole weeks ago. We still had something of a service then. They insist on an engineer coming to our house and threaten us with a fine if we haven't checked what we are supposed to. The engineer said our house was fine, but there is a pole down. That's not his department, so he closed the job. Hubby rang BT yesterday to be told they had to send an engineer to the house again...
  4. Your only responsible for the equipment in your hse and would charge for any fault in the hse. BT are responsible for anything on the outside.

Report the damaged pole. There should be a number on the pole displayed with 1" plastics discs. This is the poles personal ID. Give em that maybe tell em the pole is unsafe.

Where abouts are you?
  5. We're in deepest, darkest East Sussex. The biggest problem is that they won't accept our troubles are caused by the line draped over the hedge and taped to the tree. Every time they insist an engineer checks our house. Another one has been today. The house is fine. The line has been nicked - he presumes by a hedge cutter. I think that has been replaced, but the pole is still down. We think there is some kind of telegraph pole teaching site up the lane. There are a load stuck in a field with no lines and no purpose. We've been joking about taking a ride down there and collecting our own... :D
  6. Haha yeh probably a BT/Openreach training ground. If your dropwire has been replaced that should sort out some of your problems, If your problems persists it could be the BT18. Thats the black box at the top of the pole. As your down south I cant help any further apart from information over the forums sorry. Have you done a speed test?
  7. Speed test? We never get more than about 200Kps. Lately it's been flashing up 8Kps about once a minute... :whistle:
  8. We all have technical difficulties! Don't stress, wasting bandwidth on unnecessary apologies!!
  9. Chris - I'm really sorry to bother you, but it's now been SIX MONTHS and we still can't get BT to admit to a problem. My husband spent ages at work today on the phone to them. The provider part said our service is fine (which it is, albeit slow) and he needs to talk to Openreach. He tried them, but they won't deal with a member of the public. The damaged pole was taken away months ago. The line is taped to a tree and the rest is draped along a hedge. Hubby even tried Ofcom, but they won't deal with a problem of this kind. Is there a number where they will listen to us and put the work down on a list? We're not in a rush, but I really don't want to be cut off for weeks once the winter comes :dummy:
  10. ARRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I just tried them myself and it's infuriating. They will only deal with us if the pole is still there and broken. They won't admit whoever took the pole away six months ago forgot to put the replacement job in the system. I need to lie down in a darkened room... :soap::shut::wait::bum::slap::eek::mad::mad::mad:
  11. Are you a BT customer or do you get your service from someone else, like talk talk or sky?

Whichever your with just say you want to cancel and see what thus say when you explain why.

A change of company might help. I believe that open reach are a seperare company, and that was down to the monopolies commission that made BT and open reach split.

Sounds like it's open reach that are responsible as I think they do the hardware etc side of the telephone service.

Write a letter to the director or openreach or an email. There are ways to get direct contact details and to bypass the call centres.

Problem is when you ring the call centre they have a tick box system and won't go off scripts for anything. If it's by BT you get your service ring and say you want to cancel and you will be pit through to retentions who will be UK based and you might, I say might stand a chance of getting something done.

At the end of the day you are entitled to money back from who ever is providing, or rather not providing your service.
  12. We're with BT. We fully accept we live in the middle of nowhere and are as far from the exchange as it is possible to be. I (my husband hardly uses the internet) also don't mind the silly slow speeds. The service is OK at the moment in spite of the fact the line down the lane is literally taped to a tree and laying along the hedge. There must be some rule about having the line within reach of the public though and heaven only knows what's going to happen when the local farmer comes round with the tractor and hedge cutter again. Yes... you are right about the script. It was so bad it could have come straight out of a comedy sketch. I asked her if I went outside and cut the line, would they come to fix it and she said yes.

I'm going to find the service cancellation number... (and thank you) :whistle:
  13. I'm on the phone at the moment. Been passed from the cancellation team to the faults team. He was going to give me the Openreach number again, at which point I threatened a nervous breakdown. He changed his mind and reported it himself. It seems we are getting a new pole on Tuesday :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
  14. :w00t:
  15. I know... and it only took six months :D
  16. Sorry only just seen your post. Openreach is part of a BT group business and as such run as a seperate company. I will try and find the faults manager number in your area tomorrow/email address. Will also try and look for a job number in your area.

your internet speed will be reduced due to the line being damaged, distance from exchange and the weather.

You can also do BT line test yourself by calling 17070 option 2. This will run a test on the line and give you the result.

Hope this helps
  17. This is very kind of you. Hopefully they will stick with their promise, but a local contact might be useful. I'm thinking of taking a walk down the lane with my camera in a minute to preserve the scene for posterity :rofl:
  18. Operations manager for your area looks like a gentleman called Shaun Ward.

Here's his contact details

Shaun.ward@openreach.co.uk

07710 016383

Again Hope you get this resolved soon.

Sent you a PM
  19. AAARRRRRghhhhhhhhhh!!! It's now over a week since we were promised a new pole and guess what? I've just taken a walk down to the river and photographed everything. The line hanging from one pole, the line at a height of five feet where there is a gap between the hedges. I even have one of my finger pointing from a distance of just three feet. Yes... I could have touched the line if I wanted to. Mr Ward has just been sent a fairly strong e-mail (mixed with plenty of humour). If he doesn't reply this afternoon, I'm going to phone him tomorrow... :slap: