1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Sinister Plot?

Discussion in 'General chit-chat' started by Hollander, Sep 28, 2020.

1. For some weeks now, the clocks on Ormskirk parish church and the tower of the Beecham building in St Helens, have both been stopped with the hands in the 'ten to two' or 'ten past ten' position.
    Can we expect to see more instances of this phenomenon on public clocks in this region?
    Is this part of some sinister plot?
    I think it's time for @Dvorak to own up . . .
  2. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Yep - he's at it again :wait::rude:
  3. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

He is a time lord you know. :rofl:
  4. He goes around sticking sticks in the cogs at very specific times. ;)
  5. Be afraid - be very afraid :)
  6. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

It's time, eh? WHAT time?!? TELL ME! Bwhahahaha. :mad:
  7. :rofl::rofl:
  8. Dvorak

A junior member of my staff assisting me on my Royal Progress the other year...

[​IMG]
  9. A few short weeks ago I was shooting Poolstock church following restoration of its clock. I was having hot sweats thinking 'it's not ten to two, I can't take the shot'! I think I've been conditioned by @Dvorak , as most have on here. Must be time for confession Dv...
  10. Dvorak

Thanks for my cue @tallis

The word 'sinister' is appropriate, in its original meaning about hands.

As we photographers can't help but have noticed, watches and clocks in product photography and advertisements usually show the time at ten to ten (less so ten past two). Toggers go for ten past two as that's the time of day for straight on building shots as the light is less interesting in the middle of the day for more inventive landscape photography.

I read an article in the NY Times confirming my obsession. It's about aesthetics: the hands are kept from overlapping, the 10.10 position is symmetrical and we respond to the symmetry and orderliness. More cynically, the maker's name is kept visible on the dial. The logo is usually found under the 12 or sometimes next to the 3, 6 or 9positions. Logos found under the 12 are nicely framed by hands at ten past ten.

And of course, they look cheerful with a smile. The article I read said that Timex used to use the time 8.20 in their product photos, but eventually they chose to turn that “frown” upside down. Ahem.

Of course, as Douglas Adams noted, we now feel that digital watches are "a pretty neat idea" and have somewhat spoilt the effect. Although the person who it itching to reply that they don't use an analogue watch as they have a posh phone or wearable device really needs to log off and photograph some lighthouses and robins.
  11. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

... goes off to photograph some lighthouses and robins. :D

Actually - I could set my digital Fitbit to show a traditional clock face. If I wanted to pretend it was last century that is :whistle:
  12. Should that not be 10 past 10 and 10 to 2, sorry couldn't help it. ;)
  13. Hahahahahahaha brill
  14. Dvorak

Well spotted.

I thought I'd leave a few traps in and @Oy bit for one of them. He he he.