1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tribute to Heather - this evening

Discussion in 'Anything else' started by Dvorak, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

The other week, the astronomer Dr Heather Couper, whom I've admired for many years, died far too young. I get her annual 'Stargazing' guide, which notes that tonight you can see the moon and Venus very closely aligned. Well, it's been snowing on and off but it was worth a try as the clouds parted for a bit.

Remembering a fine broadcaster and stargazer as I frozen just now.

1:

[​IMG]

2:

[​IMG]

3 Last one of the moon and Venus with a hint of added building on the right for scale, sort of:

[​IMG]

4 Not just the Plough, but the whole of Ursa Major (pretty much):

[​IMG]
  2. A was admiring it earlier on this evening. Good set.
  3. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Interesting set.

I think I'd prefer to see the crescent moon properly exposed. Would need 2 shots blended but that's what I'd have done.
  4. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Thanks.

It's the first space togging I've done for ages, and that's how it came off the camera, after a pull back of the highlights in Lightroom.

When it's not so freezing and a decent sky, put me down for a field lesson please. :)
  5. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

No field lesson needed - just do another shot spot-metered on the moon. Then whap it into the sky shot :)
  6. This is something I would like to look into and try out in the future, a good set and a fitting tribute.
  7. good stuff noticed it last night too
  8. Nicely done, and a fitting tribute.
  9. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

Its always freezing when doing night sky stuff,i have a large telescope you can borrow if you like.
  10. Well done to you for getting out :)