1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fun thread - what are you listening to?

Discussion in 'Off topic - chew the fat' started by Zooey, Jul 7, 2015.

1. My favourite band at the minute, heavy rotation in the car, living room, bedroom and toilet!
  2. Joe

Joe

I've suddenly found myself opening up to the idea of jazz music. I'm scared. Is this what getting older feels like??

I'm getting an electric guitar and forming a band ASAP.

3. Sorry, one more for @Dvorak. Got to say, I thought was pretty amazing.
  4. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Hmm, I wasn't too sure about the idea of one of the most massive works for organ in the repertoire being rendered on a harp of all things, but why not.

I'd always advise listening to the whole of the Rodrigo though not just "the famous bit in the middle". Coz I'm a swot.

And as for the encore dance after the Ravel...you spoil me, what a perfect surprise for me. :clap:

Nice finds to raise the tone sir. :)
  5. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Bit o dirty jazzy bluesy stuffs for a Mondya neet.

6. The Seventh Son, Willie Dixon
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  7. I found this last night on Twitter of all places. Love it so much already! :)

8. I've only just found this. Toccata and Fugue in D minor is one of my all time favourites. Must give this a listen later :)
  9. Heard this on BBC Breakfast yesterday morning and without knowing who was singing, I was instantly struck by the quality of his voice. Really surprised to find it was Kiefer Sutherland :)

10. Just discovered Timi Dakolo today :)

11. Dvorak

Well, I have been listening to my classical collection CDs throughout the work day (save for when I'm peering at flickering Skype calls).

In alphabetical order, averaging 6 discs a day since the lockdown.

Tomorrow, I arrive at Beethoven himself. I wonder whether this will be all over before I get to Elgar, Mozart or....dare I say Wagner?!?

I've had many familiar tunes and some semi-forgotten treats brought back to mind. What are others going for as the backdrop to a crisis. Anything special uncovered, in any genre?
  12. i’ve been listening to classical piano on amazon music. relaxing!!
  13. Dvorak

You'll have to be more specific, fellow culture vulture... :geek:

I'm looking forward to Beethoven's piano sonatas tomorrow. Chopin's Nocturnes will arrive for me in about a fortnight at this rate. :p

Although if I wander into the wrong room here though I may get Richard Clayderman tickling the ivories or even Freddie Mercury doing his showman stuff.
  14. I've got flash drives loaded with lots of albums - each drive containing a different type of music - classical, jazz, rock, etc.,which I plug into the USB port on my music system.
    Yesterday I listened to the 'back seven' of Beethoven's symphonies - 'Eroica' through to the Choral 9th, and followed them with Mendelssohn's 3rd Symphony (quite possibly my all time favourite), and Mahler's 1st. :)
  15. Dvorak

No no no, I said specifics, please nerds and anoraks! Whose recordings of the Beethoven? I am listening to all my versions in this current run, but probably will savour Herbert von Karajan's last analogue set from the late 60s early 70s. :prop:

I do love the Mendelssohn as well but some of the later Mahler scares me (non nerds will like the bit they used for the old Castrol GTX liquid engineering ads).
  16. I would have to root out the box set I 'ripped' to be sure, but I think it was Our 'Erbert and the Berlin Phil.
    Where the 9th is concerned though, I prefer Solti.
  17. Sam

Sam

I have quite a few CDs about 150,which replaced some of the records,but I do have a favourite which
    if I could only have one would be Nilsson Schmilsson by Harry Nilsson,I bought the record
    in 1971 when it came out,and I have the CD now which is played more than any other,Harry died
    much too soon.
  18. From yesterday playing throughout the house and patio using Sonos:

[​IMG]IMG_4626 Liszt by