1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

York's Mother Church

Discussion in 'Architecture' started by Dvorak, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

It may be in the shadow of York Minster, but for Catholics St Wilfrid's Church is considered the Mother Church in the city - and indeed the design of the tower makes it appear as though St Wilfrid's is taller than the Minster in the background - obvious perspective perhaps but a neat effect. Dating in its current form from 1864, it's considered to be one of the most perfectly finished Catholic Churches in England.

1 Wilfrid, on the left:

[​IMG]

2 The man himself:

[​IMG]

3 Nave:

[​IMG]

4 Altar detail:

[​IMG]

5 Font:

[​IMG]
  2. First one works for me. But all good :thumbup:
  3. Love the interior shots in a fine set.
  4. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Nice set - shot 1 for me by a mile!
  5. Sam

Sam

The first one is my favourite,there's a lot to see.:)
  6. Yep shot one, all the way.
  7. That pidgeon looks all snug in pic 2, No1 for me though.
  8. Nice set - interesting to see that you're shooting on manual recently...
  9. Fascinating to see, and lots to enjoy. Cathedrals often overshadow architectural gems in many cities and as a result it is easy to miss them altogether. So a treat to see this for the first time for me. Also essential (in my humble opinion) to tell a photographic story - whilst number 1 is the stand out (photographically speaking), the interior shots tell the full story of a neo-gothic masterpiece. Any details on the architect?
  10. Absolutely gorgeous place, and great pics to boot. No 4 my pick of the bunch
  11. Excellent set ,I like them all :)
  12. Some years since I was there
    No.1 has a great angle on the place
  13. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

I virtually always shoot on manual - have done for years for landscape shots.