1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yoda's Grave?

Discussion in 'Architecture' started by Foinavon, Dec 30, 2016.

1. This is St Mary the Virgin Church in Deane, Bolton. The final shots from my pentax k-m after many years of good service.

1 [​IMG]St Mary the Virgin by Paul Bennett, on Flickr

2 ok so the unusal title of the thread. We were wandering around any my boy says "Why is Yoda on that Grave?", so I looked and there he was! I have tried to find out what he/it might be but without success. I did find out that this Celtic Cross is not actually a grave at all but a memorial to a martyr from this parish who was burned at the stake in Chester (George Marshall). You can see "Yoda" at the bottom.

[​IMG]Yoda's Cross by Paul Bennett, on Flickr

3 [​IMG]Bramble Graves by Paul Bennett, on Flickr

Finally two of my lad. I liked the fact that he slipped by the "may be slippery" sign.

4 [​IMG]Read the Sign by Paul Bennett, on Flickr

5 [​IMG]Railings Boy by Paul Bennett, on Flickr

6 This one seems totally out of place but its just across the road from the Church. I have an interest in derelict pubs so I thought I'd get it whilst I was there. The former Stags Head pub. An interesting fact about this pub is that a river runs through the cellar.

[​IMG]Stags Head by Paul Bennett, on Flickr
  2. I have the pleasure of working in Deane and the surrounding areas - lots of familiar sights there.
    I usually don't favour shots of the backs of people, but I like the movement in number 4 and the fact that a kid doesn't have a screen in front of them.
  3. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Lots of my family are buried in Dean churchyard.

No3 for me too :)

I seem to remember seeing Yoda on Celtic crosses before!
  4. Lots of work needed in the graveyard, like shot 3 with the brambles.
  5. Sam

Sam

The Church in the first one,and the old pub in the last one are my two favourites.
  6. I like church brambles :thumbup:, well spotted.
  7. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

I like the tones in No1,the mono and well your lad on the railings more red than you can shake a stick at.
  8. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Well found!

The grave shot for me is the choice here. Maybe the last one, but with the mangling down a couple of notches please.
  9. no.3 is the shot. its a great place full of history.
  10. nice varied set - no. 3 for me please