1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waikato Drought 2020

Discussion in 'Landscapes and outdoor scenes' started by Delboy, Feb 13, 2020.

1. The hot weather that has brought the massive bush fires to Oz is now affecting New Zealand. The whole country except the deep south who have had recently a major storm, is now on a major water shortage and fire alert Very strict water usage in some parts and a complete total ban on fires and BBQ's.
    I have seen some major droughts in the past but not like this one it has gone on for so long with no sign of rain in the immediate future.
    Click for larger image.

[​IMG]DEL_4493 Waikato Drought 2020 by delboys, on Flickr

[​IMG]Waikato drought 2020 by delboys, on Flickr

[​IMG]DEL_4521 Waikato Drought by delboys, on Flickr

[​IMG]DEL_4517 Pirongia Drought 2020 by delboys, on Flickr

[​IMG]DEL_4518 Cows Seeking Shade by delboys, on Flickr
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  2. I'm sorry :(
  3. Hard to believe this is NZ. Hope the rain comes soon.
  4. My Kiwi cousin was afraid that this would happen. He moved back to Auckland from Sydney quite a few years ago with a view to becoming self sufficient to which end he now has a small farm outside Auckland. he is very afraid of climate change and saw the signs early on. That of course doesn't change anything and aty least the trees are still green. Otherwise it looks like a tinderbox. Be safe.
  5. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

A good set showing off the conditions,scorched earth policy.
  6. Thank you all for your comments.

They are not having it at all good in the Auckland or Northland regions Judge, We think we have it bad here in the Waikato, but Auckland and the far north are really being hit by the drought. Some small holdings who rely on tank water have almost run out of water. We hope your cousin is OK. Things have definitely altered. Normally we get tropical low pressures tracking down the east of the country but this spring/summer not one has formed. Stuffed our summer so far haven't had a BBQ because of the high winds in the afternoon
  7. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Yes, to echo fellow Nutters' comments: be safe.

As @Shirlm says, we picture your part of the world often in idyllic terms, certainly very green and ideal for farming and lush woodlands. It's a shock to see it so yellow and a warning, perhaps too late, of more to come.
  8. Oy

Oy Seen nowt know nowt. Staff Member

Blimey! Sad times but well documented. Let's hope you don;t get the opportunity for sadder pix!
  9. Sad to see and hear. I've always thought of New Zealand being a very green and lush.
    Well documented.
  10. Thank you guys for your comments, but you Brits are not having a good time of it at the moment, just heard on our news, (7.00 am 17th ) you are having the opposite. Large storms and floods again. I think that could be worse in the cold winter.
  11. Awful situation in NZ and we are kept up to date from our friends in Napier. Fingers crossed for some wet weather soon.
  12. Thanks for that gasman. Had a shower of rain today lasted for about 10 minutes completely dry and gone in 20 minutes.
    and it is hot as hell 8.45 pm 28 deg C. At least the dry winds seem to have gone.
  13. Does look as dry as a dry thing, hope the rains come soon.
  14. So sad to see what is happening in the North :(
  15. Does look really dry. Pics convey that parched mood.