1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The highest honour

Discussion in 'Architecture' started by Dvorak, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

I decided to detour onto the new estate at Pennington Wharf built where I still remember the colliery was. Here we meet local boy Private Alfred Wilkinson who, at the very end of the First World War, was given the highest military honour - the Victoria Cross - for the bravery he showed in a daring mission across no man’s land at the Battle of Selle in Marou in northern France.

Alfred survived the war, only to die in a tragic accident at the time of being called up for World War 2. Alfred was well-mourned and decorated and this statue of him was unveiled by his family and the Mayor a year or so back. I'm glad I passed by and now know this!

1:

[​IMG]

2:

[​IMG]

3 And a blast from the past (remember these forum frames, @stanokella ?) This shot taken a hundred yards away before the last of the colliery site was pulled down:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  2. A very brave man, and a tragic ending to his story. Pic number 1 is very effective, with the setting sun in the background.
    Took a few pics of the canal boat Ambush at Crooke last week. :thumbup:
  3. the first evokes such a story ( besides what you wrote). it is really is well done.
  4. The first image with the setting sun work really well.
  5. Oy

Oy Seen nowt know nowt. Staff Member

Two nice shots of a worthy memorial.

It looks very similar to the one at Alexandra Park Bowing Green, Newtown.
  6. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

That sky in No1 makes it for me even to the point where a crop just above the houses would I think look good,reminicent of what the skies may have been like back then.
  7. Doesn't look anything like a "bacon Tree to me...." Ambush....ham bush....gettit? Fine bit of local history there sir. Good shot of the boat and the bridge as well.
  8. Beautiful statue to honor the man with. Both of those are great shots. Nice drawbridge there in the last one
  9. ^^ yes
    Nice pov for the boat and drawbridge
  10. Excellent shots and great history too. No1 is the powerful one for me - a mixture of old and new. It's good to see that Alfred hasn't been forgotten.