1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stansgang theme No1.DOF.

Discussion in 'The Themed Challenges' started by Stansgang, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

I have posted this taken on my Fuji X100T,ISO200,F2 exposure -1.I have tried to show how DOF can be used to bring into the shot something which isn't the main subject yet your eyes can be drawn to it even though it isn't sharp and I hope adds a little something to the composition.
    [​IMG]3 lights by David Stanley, on Flickr
  2. Really good SG - it's like a 3D effect shot and I like it :)
  3. Even at f2 with such a wide lens it's hard to get a narrow dof. Unless you are close to the subject, this is more like hyperfocal.
  4. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

A good lesson learned there.

I see your sponsor's name and claim my coupons.
  5. Stansgang

We discussed DOF at the pub meet I always looked at DOF as being as you say narrow but how I read it after our discussion that every shot as DOF being at f2 or f16 which the lens I used had. I am hoping these themes will be educational also.
  6. Stansgang

7. Even though f2 is used again this has a narrower dof with the focus on a closer subject.
    Yeah every shot has a dof and its not just aperture that can change it, focal length and subject distance make a difference too.
    Also sensor and film size make a difference too
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  8. I really like your composition in #1 and the focus on the grasses. Even though the dof is not a shallow as I'd expect from F2, as T Thanks says, its hard to get very shallow with a WA lens.
    However it is still noticeable that the main building is out of focus & attention is drawn to the grass and cylindrical feature.
  9. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Two good ideas. Just a word of warning though - the X100 series lens is not that sharp wide open at F2.
  10. Stansgang

Cheers.:thumbup:
  11. Stansgang

Another for the theme its getting bananas this is. saw it lying around on a window ledge in Manchester.
    [​IMG]Banana by David Stanley, on Flickr
  12. Stansgang

Bump because I think folk aren't looking again once they have looked maybe not realising that the theme will be added to.
  13. Smallest dof yet due to close and low shot.
    Its bananas what you can do with the same camera/lens setup.
  14. Stansgang

15. Good effect with such a shallow dof, certainly keeps focus on the markings on the banana
  16. Some nice examples here. Didn't a banana just go for $120,000? :D
  17. Very photogenic building is the Coop! Like the DOF in the stairs as well.