1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proper Broadband

Discussion in 'Off topic - chew the fat' started by Zooey, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Most of you are probably aware of our broadband woes. We can get up to 1.5Mbps, but it often goes down as low as 200Kbps, if it works at all. Trying to navigate in here, especially when someone has uploaded a set can be difficult. Our neighbour has just called round (both our neighbours are half a mile away and we can't actually see them from our property). He too is fed up with the service and has been in touch with the CEO of BT, who has promised to pay for a new exchange if everyone on the lane signs up. We were the last and of course, I agreed. I still don't know if it will go ahead, but I believe the deal was £1,500 per household and £3,000 per business. The farm on the other side alone has many properties and three businesses, so the funding should be enough. Watch this space! :)
  2. Stansgang

Stansgang Keep it straight!

Zooey,do you have a good 4g phone signal at home.
  3. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Good luck.

My BT gives me 75mbps just now (and that's down copper wire as we're on an unadopted road where cables aren't possible); potentially I could get more if I used a wired connection from wall to Mac.

Keep us posted. You can send updates via pigeon if you'd prefer...
  4. :rofl: No. 2G, but to be honest, my smart phone is for emergencies only and I hardly turn it on. If I do want something at home, I have to do contortions in the very top of our attic to get a signal good enough to download anything...
  5. Photos are required of course :rofl: Good luck with BT :thumbup:
  6. Stansgang

I only asked as I recently got rid of my Virgin internet they just keep putting their prices up and service is poor I now have a 4g router with Alexa from my phone provider which is 3,the router was free and I get unlimited use for £20 a month plus their are no cables or wires and so far we are very pleased with it,we also can take it away with us in our motorhome and as long as I have a 4g signal(it runs off a sim card like your phone)we have internet.We took it away with us to watch the Motorbike racing at Oulton park and at night we watched the highlights on Eurosport with it with no problems.Internet seems to be heading this way and phone providers are selling internet USB dongles for Laptops etc and 4g routers for as little as £16/month contracts ……...I think you need to flit:whistle:Good luck anyway with what choices you have.;)
  7. Flit? Why? We are so remote that we always knew faster broadband wouldn't reach us here. Regardless, isn't all the hardware down to BT, so no other company could improve on our speeds. I got in touch with the CEO of BT about 4 years ago with a problem and he got it sorted in a couple of days. I must admit that I never thought they would give us our own exchange, but if the money is on the table, then I'm a happy bunny. Just glad our neighbour thought to ask :)
  8. Stansgang

My Flit comment was tongue in cheek Zooey,no one should flit if they love where they live especially just to get a good internet connection,i would love to go back in time when things where less hectic or was that because I was younger then:rofl:
  9. I don't mind the slow speed as much as I mind no internet at all and it's been intermittent recently. Maybe they will put the shiny green box in our old coach road :)
  10. We have just upgraded our broadband to 500mb with Virgin Media.
  11. Just to update everyone. I had a call from BT the other day. I could tell they wanted to flog a mobile phone. I complained about our connection and he started looking into the problem for us. Luckily, by the time he started getting technical, hubby got home from work and he agreed to mobile broadband. It arrived and was set up yesterday. I've been doing the odd speed check today. Our old broadband could only get 1.8Mb at best, but with the new system I just got a whopping 25Mb. It's like Christmas has come early :w00t:
  12. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

13. Dvorak

That's excellent news. And not before time.

Send us a piccie - tell us what you've got: keen to see and hear more. I know we've discussed new cables for your area, mobiles and all sorts for you so the solution is something to be savoured.
  14. Great news - woohoo, as one might say :thumbup::w00t::rocks:
  15. Not as good as I thought. There are so many things eating up our 30Gb - Dropbox, Cortana, X-Box, Skype - none of which we use. Dropbox alone hogged more than 100Mb yesterday. I killed off what I could, but even a quick look in here and scroll through Faceache took 1/4 of the daily allowance. It was literally a quick ten minutes before we went out to do the llamas and goats. I like to have BBC News on while I'm editing to keep me company. No chance of that now. I clearly can't use it normally and am unlikely to remember to use it when I really need it (like backing up all 700Mb of my web site), so I've already told hubby it had better go. Am I right in thinking a mobile broadband package really isn't suitable for this type of home use?
  16. Stansgang

How are you getting the signal is it by a sim card.
  17. I'm not the technical one! I think he said he was sending a card, so yes :)
  18. Stansgang

I replied early on to this Zooey 5th reply,save me typing it again,we use a sim card 4g in a router with 3 mobile its excellent £20 a month unlimited use. Excellent, find out who you can get the best 4g signal from,might be worth changing from BT.
  19. Thank you. This mostly goes over my head, but I just looked at coverage on the Which site and we are down as "Bad". I'll get hubby to look into it :)
  20. Dvorak

Hmmm. Odd.

Not sure why any of these would use up anything if you're not using them. Only active internet processes can use anything up. Looking at text on a news webpage will use hardly anything.

I regularly use my phone as a hotspot to browse on the laptop or even let our kid watch football and it hardly uses any data at all over an hour or two. And as for speed - you only need 2mb per second to watch high definition stuff on Netflix. 30 gigs should run an entire family of online gamers and video streamers for ages!

Definitely turn off stuff you don't use or even uninstall it. Cortana? Zap it. Sounds like it may just be teething issues or a lot of updates.