1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Store Building

Discussion in 'Architecture' started by gfitzgerald, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Dvorak

Dvorak The Horizon Police

Fascinating glimpse.

Sometimes those crops go down well with a bit of foreground to frame it. Works okay for me.

Is it still 5c for a cola?!?
  2. A good piece of history there and well captured. The cash register shot is OK with me.
  3. The weren't really growing anything there. Might have been a grape vine left of the cane squeezer. Only a sorgum boiling off place on the left of that. Behind the old store was some cows, couple donkeys, a pig and something else. I did see another place behind the black smith place that had something growing.

No, the colas were 10 cents along with the babyruth and butterfingers and other candy bars. My brother and two neighbor boys would walk 3 miles to catch the ride to the bean field in my younger days. My brother and I were getting money to buy a bicycle from the Western Auto Store. 1.5c a lb for picking for the cannery. A drink at lunch from Bell Dowdle's ice box 10c, candy bar and drink on the way home 20c and that ate up a lot of the days picking. We carried scrambled egg sandwiches for lunch. Sometimes a swim in the river at lunch time too.
  4. Thanks gasman
  5. Dvorak

Thank for the glimpse into the kids' economy there.

I think this was in reply to my mention of the kind of crops that work well - I was referring to shot two where you talk of your choice of cropping... :)

6. My bad, thought you were talking crops and in agriculture.
  7. Dvorak

He he - I am often told I am talking crop. At least I think that's what they tell me.
  8. Great to see
    No.2 works well
  9. Thanks Dave.
  10. Interesting bit of history. Kids now days would tell you where to go, and then go back to their phones.
  11. It's nice to see a record of the old ways. It's all heritage and needs to be remembered.
  12. Love the sugar press, Fitz.
  13. Yes, I like the old stuff.
  14. There are quite a few of those about. There is a boil off shed just to the left. Bricked up and firebrick lined. I think they do demos here as there is a smithy shop there also. Didn't see any sign of the cane press having had a mule or horse making any tracks around it. When I was growing up there was a guy several miles away the made sorghum syrup/molasses. Mighty good with hot biscuits and some real butter.
  15. Great that these are being preserved. I really like the pov of #1
  16. Thank you Shirley
  17. That's quite a find :)
  18. Thank you Shirley. I like to see these old things and look at how they were built, castings, rivits, smithy work.
  19. Thanks Zooey. Only 40 minutes away and I actually didn't know anything about the place. Gotta make a return on a couple things.