1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monthly Theme Monthly Theme September 2018 - DIAGONAL

Discussion in 'Competitions & challenges' started by Oy, Sep 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oy

Oy Master of the lucky shot! Staff Member

Ok folks - take pix on the theme DIAGONAL.

Post them here - talk about them and the theme here. Later in the month I'll post a comp thread for you to enter two of your faves in a comp.
  2. Oy

3. Surely he is de-escalating?
  4. Oy

LOLZ
  5. Great start. Strong diagonal and standout subject. One thing I have never really understood from the photography etiquette perspective is whether spidy should be where he is, strong composition but leaving the image, or on the top third entering the image.
  6. Great Idea
  7. Oy

Yes the usual wisdom is the place moving objects that that they’re entering the frame. I think I’m this case though there’s enough that says where the movement is to not need it. Thanks for your thoughts though - just what I want this new theme idea to be about :)
  8. Diagonal light

I tried to use the light streaming in through the roof as my diagonals. My wife is there to provide perspective (and a snap from the holiday).

[​IMG]Abu Dhabi Louvre by Mike Heneghan, on Flickr
  9. Oy

Lovely shot mate - gagging for a bit of mono :)

Here we have diagonal as a pointer - rather than the more usual method of adding depth. Superb!
  10. Threads looking great up to now :)
  11. Don't know if this fits the thread theme but here goes -possibly not what you mean Taken 05.09.2018 Llanddwyn Island Anglesey :)

Diagonal Stairs up to the shack

[​IMG]DSC_8206 by John Tymon, on Flickr

:)
  12. Jon-T you have a lot of diagonals in this picture. The roof, steps, shadows and even the slope of the hill to a lesser degree. I think the diagonals are emphasized by the vertical lines of the corrugated exterior. Nice picture.
  13. Aldar HQ

Grabbed this when driving by this magnificent building. It was one of my targets for the trip but the sky wasnßt playing ball and there is no real place for a tourist to grab a great shot. Still glad i saw it.

[​IMG]Aldar HQ BW by Mike Heneghan, on Flickr
  14. Wahat Al Karama

Literally means Oasis of dignity and is a memorial to all UAE people that have fallen in conflicts around the globe. Great place to visit. I took a shot of part of an exhibition (Loaylty, Giving, tolerance and Sacrifice). The actual memorial is a giant reflection pool and a number of massive stone slabs leaning on each other.

[​IMG]Wahat Al Karama by Mike Heneghan, on Flickr
  15. Nicely done in the last one creating the diagonals via "lens distortion." I have seen this technique work really well by guiding the eye to a subject posing against a wall.
  16. Oy

Yep - the mono boards is what it's about - leading and depth.
  17. Liking this idea :)
    Spidey is a real fun fun shot.
    The rays of light is a interesting shot, I just find the bright doorway in the background overpowers the shot.
    The hut, of course it fits the theme it has loads of diagonal lines stairs and roof.
    Strange building is high contrast in tones and surroundings.
    Wahat Al Katama, all I'll say is colourful.
    Plant n sky needs something else.
    Boards in mono works really well, lines and foreground textures.
  18. Oy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.